Template/CSS issue

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 16:54

Template/CSS issue

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

I am VERY new to Sitefinity an am currently migrating content into Sitefinity for use with a new AMS system. I have created my pages, stripped out the content within <div> tags and replaced it with <ContentPlaceHolder> tags. With my templates, I have created content as nested items, so that on my page my CONTENT appears with a NAV BAR to the right and the CONTENT material flowing around it. When I create the template, the sections appear below each other, rather than being nested. Is there a way to maintain the page style without resorting to tables?

Can you attach screenshots and your masterpage template?

Steve,
As requested; thanks!

Code:
<%@ Master Language="VB"%>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "www.w3.org/.../xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="www.w3.org/.../xhtml">
<head runat="server">
    <title></title>
</head>
<body><form id="form1" runat="server">
    <div id="wrapper">
    <div id="container_head"><asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="masthead" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder></div>
    <div class="clearfix" id="container_main"><asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="content" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder>
    <div id="nav_second"><asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="navigation" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder></div>
    <div id="feature"><asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="feature" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder></div>
    </div>
    <div id="container_foot"><asp:ContentPlaceHolder id="footer" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder></div>
    </div>
</form></body>
</html>

Ok, I ASSUME this is sitefinity 4/4.1?

So with that assumption:
I would recommend you do is strip out all of these placeholders and just have one single master placeholder for your content (and maybe one for header and one for the footer).  Then create child Templates off of that using the Layout controls in the backend designer.  It's not at all table based, just uses Divs when it renders, but you can achieve AMAZINGLY complex layouts by drag\drop.

Now if this is 3.x it's just going to follow standard\basic CSS rules, so whatever you have defined should just work.  What is firebug showing you?

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your response; I'm sorry I'm so vague - I'm really VERY new to Sitefinity, after using Dreamweaver for years.

The program is version 3.7, and unfortunately all these items need to be included on the page... the gray box being a dynamic navigation bar. Am I going to be restricted to using tables, which almost defeats the purpose of CSS, or should I try and go ahead and create the single content area and try dropping in multiple controls?

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction; it's greatly appreciated.

- John

This thread is closed