Beginner questions

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 10:38

Beginner questions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2011 00:00

Hi all,

I'm working now on my first Sitefinity project and there're some things, that I can't demystify. I would be glad, if someone can give some advise.

1) Customizing widgets
I need to customize the Navigation Subscribe Control. I took a look into the widget templates gallery but there're only templates for events, blogs ect. I read that its possible to add external templates and how to configure the apropiate config.xml. But where to find the code for the Controls, that are not listed in the widget templates gallery?

2) Navigation
I have to implement a Navigation as shown in the attachment. I used the drop down navigation. My problem here is, that I can't make it to style the selected item diffrent from the others (bright green). The only css class, that is applied to the selected item is rmSelected. But rmSelected is applied to a-tag and not to the li-tag.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Hi Michael,

1) There is no widget template for navigation widget because it uses RadControls to display the menu and takes the Sitemap. If you want to style the navigation control you can apply css class to it or just declare some of the built in css  classes from here. If you want to achieve some menu functionality that is not currently supported you are encouraged to create a custom control which uses some of the radControls and achieve the functionality you want ( here are some demos ).

2) Add a custom or built in css class( like mentioned above) to the control that sets xxSelected to your desired property or even a css document in your custom theme that will override some of the properties of the menu. If you expand the node with that menu item selected in Firebug you will notice that under the LI tag there is an <a> concerning that LI item.

Please write back if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Stanislav,

thank you for making some things clear. I think I have to write a custom navigation control.

I noticed I made is a small mistake in question 1). Instead of "Navigation Subscribe Control" it should read Newsletter Subscribe Control.

Michael

Posted by Community Admin on 19-May-2011 00:00

Hello Michael,

The Newsletter module is still in beta and all of its planned functionality will be fully available in  next releases. Adding additional functionality to modules that don`t have templates available trough widget templates is done trough adding custom fields to those modules which are available trough the UI or custom coding some functionality using the native API.
If for example you want to add an additional field to Newsletter which is not GenericContent based module you have to create new data provider (you can easily add a control with that field but it cannot be persisted).

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2011 00:00

Excuse me for dropping in here,

I can see from the link you gave that there are several built in skins for RadMenu, I assume this goes for the Navigation control as well.
Let's say i want the Navigation control to look like the Office skin. Where should I set this up?

Hello Atle,

Go to edit the navigation widget and expand design settings, under Css Wrapper Class you can put the name of the skin you prefer.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Fantastic!
I did try something like that before without luck, but I must have made some kind of mistake. This time I worked right away. Thanks!

This thread is closed