Help with videos please!

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 16:41

Help with videos please!

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2012 00:00

Hey everybody,

this might seem like the most-novice question in the world but how can I upload .mov files to the videos library? I am using Sitefinity 4.3.1885.0.  I have many other questions that I could ask, but this is one of my biggest issues I am dealing with seeing as how I am making a training/support site for my company and there are already 30+ videos in .mov format.  Is there a plugin, or some setting I can turn on/off to make this stuff happen?

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

nvm, the Content ---> Files & Documents allows it.  It is pretty odd that Content ---> Videos wouldn't allow you to upload all sorts of videos.  I think it should be able to, but only use the 'fancy' silverlight control for WMVs if needbe.

Question ?

Which user can play mov files via Internet Browser ?
Near no one. I think its better to think about re encode your videos to a MP4 file.

This format is supported by Silverlight and a lot of other players. (like the HTML5)
But the Guys from Telerik didn´t support upload of MP4 files.
What a shame, because the Silverlight media player of them should have option to play this.

So a video Module which supports different Fileformats are welcome and help to improve the platform.

Only my ....
Jens

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Tobias and Chris,

Sitefinity 4.x should support all possible video formats, as long as they are playable by Silverlight. In order to enable the .mov and .mp4 extensions go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Libraries -> Videos -> Allowed file extensions and enumerate the extensions that you need separated with a comma. The recycle the app pool and you should be able to upload such files.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,

thanks for answer. I found the extension trick before.
And yes i can upload then a mp4 file. But the player didn´t play it. :(

@Tobias,

Did you check if it actually didn't play?

SF currently only fully supports .WMV (meaning it can create a video thumbnail etc) but the player works fine over here with an .MP4 although there's no preview thumbnail. If you receive a 404.3 error it only means IIS isn't aware of how it should handle the type and you can update your web.config system.webserver section with the following:

<staticContent>
    <mimeMap fileExtension=".mp4" mimeType="video/mp4" />
</staticContent>

Jochem.

Hi thanks for the tip,

i done it, but i get always Fail to open media in silverlight player.
when i use mp4.
Ok -- correct now. Now it works after i re upload the video.

Thanks for help

Buy the way.

support for smooth streaming Content would be helpfull here.

We also have a lot of traning videos. and we are on way to reencode it to smoothstreaming content.

@Tobias,

Glad it worked the 2nd time around. I'd love smooth streaming/seeking and the new html5 goodies as well in SF. For now you can upload the video files manually (outside of SF) and reference them directly to make things work though...

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Jocjem and Tobias,

Sitefinity's RadMediaPlayer (the one we use to play the videos) supports the following formats (not extensions but codecs used to encode the file with) -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc189080(v=vs.95).aspx 

As for the streaming - there is a logged PITS issue that is related to this problem - 

http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/details/Issue=8712 

You can vote for it.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

@Lubomir,

Thanks for the links and the reference to the PITS issue. With Windows 8 being released in the fall this year and IE10 (in integrated mode, read default on most desktops/tablets/etc) NOT supporting plugins (so the RadMediaPlayer won't work there) wouldn't it be better to jump start a new media player discussion instead of focusing on a bug that will be obsolete in 2-3 release cycles?

Jochem.

Hello Jochem,

You raise an interesting question here. I will make sure this matter is discussed with our architecture and UX teams so they are aware of the future possibilities. The problem here is backward compatibility - even with the Release of Windows 8, it will not be adopted right away and we will have to support two platforms anyway.

All the best,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2012 00:00

Slavo to the rescue!

This morning Slavo Ingilizov wrote a blogpost on how to build a custom HTML5 video player instead of using the normal Silverlight version... Check it out! 

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2012 00:00

just as an update:

Microsoft confirmed that for Windows on ARM desktop it will also not allow 3rd party plugins, so on here also no Silverlight support.

@Lubomir
I'm not sure the 'it will not be adopted right away' is a valid argument. It's much easier to convince a client to upgrade his browser than to tell him he shouldn't have bought a new pc. But you're right, backwards compatibility has to be implemented... and here's Microsoft to the rescue: The HTML5 Player Framework.

The same team that developed the Silverlight player, has released their first (open-sourced) version of a HTML5 player. Based on the best practices they've used in the Silverlight version. Their first release was targeted at across-the-board playback (ios/andriod/web/wp7) and it already supports fallback for Silverlight or Flash, playlists and captions.

The UI is skinnable (yeay for a new RadVideoPlayer + telerik skins) and will soon offer plugins that'll allow DRM and the major video ad networks. And to save the best for last "The same control strip and JavaScript API for both the HTML5 video tag and the Silverlight player"

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Jochem,

thanks for that link.For me its an old link, but for others may be iterssting.

But beware -- the guys are not active work on the framework for html video playing.

The shift from Microsoft means to native Windows 8 Apps for their Metro.
during this this guys will work on Windows app at this time.

See here one comment from their forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Jan -

You are correct in that we continue to invest heavily in this framework. It's been available in some form (primarily Silverlight) for over two years now and we've somewhat recently added our second developer (James) to the project. James will continue to drive the HTML5 version of the framework while Tim Greenfield will lead our Windows 8 version and the XAML iteration of the framework (including Windows Phone and XBOX).

Our current sprint has both of our developers fully focused on ramping up for the release of Windows 8 next year. As you may know, Windows 8 includes a new application model that we call "Metro" and it allows you to write full-blown Windows apps (with mandatory touch-friendly UI) using either HTML5/JS or XAML/C#. For HTML5 developers you'll have access to the fully standards-compliant features that you find in modern browsers as well as access to the underlying capabilities of Windows through a layer we call WinRT (Windows Runtime). So you'll be able to call native APIs from JavaScript. Very cool stuff.

So that said, additional features and updates to the current flavor of the HTML5 video framework, which is focused exclusively on browser-based playback, will slow down a bit while we focus on Windows 8. Some features, fixes, and enhancements will roll down from our Windows work and we will push those out in time.

In the end, we aim to have a comprehensive player framework that will allow you to target just about every platform out there while enjoying consistent APIs and capabilities. The HTML5 browser version of the player will work on pretty much every browser and device out there now and we intend to release a version for iOS and Android apps some time next year.

We'll take a look at the fullscreen API you referenced above.

Thanks,
Mike
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://playerframework.codeplex.com/discussions/271711

Thanks

PS: The web Editor here is horriable.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Feb-2012 00:00

Hey TMatt,

I hadn't had time to respond to Lubomir's comment with regards to 'supporting two platforms' that's why I included the link when I posted the Microsoft update regarding Windows on ARM.

Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but I'm reading the post and the general Player Framework as not dead at all, totally the opposite Mike Downey confirms this is Microsoft's way of the future. 

Currently they've released the new HTML5 as a v1.0 which focuses on cross-device playback and layed the groundworks for the plugin-model. Now that that part is finished, they're currently focussing on the Windows8 bits and pieces.

Any work that's get done there (that is cross platform) will be released and extra (purely web related) features are a bit on hold - which makes sense given the Win8 deadline. But in the end, we're utilizing the same API's for Windows, Metro and Web.

That's why I included the link for Telerik, by building a new player around this open-sourced and microsoft endorsed platform, with the 'same' code snippets they can use it for RadControls Ajax/MVC/Silverlight/WindowsPhone7/KendoUI AND Sitefinity. And since it's a pluggable architecture 3rd party add-ons can be easily integrated...

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2012 00:00

Great discussion! In addition to what Jochem has said about Windows 8, a significant consideration for us is that many of our customers use non-Microsoft devices/browsers. We really need a cross-platform friendly HTML5 .mp4 video player (with fallback to Silverlight or Flash, etc), rather than a .WMV only Silverlight player.

I will look at the Microsoft Media Platform player you posted and see if that will work for now, but in the future it would be great to be able to rely on the built in Sitefinity video controls.

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Mar-2012 00:00

We´ve got the video working with Chrome but with firefox is not working because we are explicit defining the type has .mp4 and .mp4 doesn´t work in firefox. Same thing in IE.
How cam we make this control to work in cross-browsing

Hey Abílio,

MP4 should be player through the RadMediaPlayer inside SF (the standard Silverlight player). If you're talking about playing an MP4 video as a 'HTML5' video then you're currently out of luck.

You could re-encode the MP4 video to for instance an .ogv so Firefox can play that file since it doesn't understand .mp4 using a syntax like this:

<video controls>
    <source src=video-hi-res.mp4 type=‘video/mp4;   codecs="avc1.64001E, mp4a.40.2"’    media="(min-device-width: 800px)">
    <source src=video-lo-res.mp4 type=‘video/mp4;   codecs="avc1.42E01E, mp4a.40.2"’>
    <source src=video-hi-res.ogv type=‘video/ogg;   codecs="theora, vorbis"’            media="(min-device-width: 800px)">
    <source src=video-lo-res.ogv type=‘video/ogg;   codecs="theora, vorbis"’>
</video>

Naturally there are plugins that'll make browsers support different video formats but currently chrome/ie/firefox/opera are still not supporting the same video format types:

• Firefox supports: WebM, Ogg Theora
    Opera supports: WebM, Ogg Theora
    Safari supports: MPEG-4 H.264
    Chrome supports: WebM, Ogg Theora and MPEG-4 H.264
    IE supports: MPEG-4 H.264

DO I have to upload the different videos to the Video Library or just have the source pointing to the file system.
    I´ve already tried this approach putting this code in a content block but with no luck.

Where do I should place this peace of code that you wrighted

Thanks for you attention

Hey Abílo,

You can do both - upload them to the library or serve them outside of Sitefinity with a direct link. There's a difference however. If your server supports smooth streaming (read IIS 7.5 with latest updates) you'll notice that you get better (server) performance and also seeking if you link them directly outside of Sitefinity. (for more on that see this link).

You can use a regular content block, switch to HTML view and paste the code in...

<video width="540" height="303" controls="controls">
    <source src="http://mediaelementjs.com/media/echo-hereweare.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
    <source src="http://mediaelementjs.com/media/echo-hereweare.webm" type="video/webm" />
    <source src="http://mediaelementjs.com/media/echo-hereweare.ogv" type="video/ogg" />
      Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>

(disclaimer: I copy pasted some online video's from MediaElement.js purely for display test purposes)

Jochem

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Apr-2014 00:00

more thanks!! I am new in cms and can find a answer to my problem has helped me much :D

This thread is closed