Responsive design for navigation?

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 16:24

Responsive design for navigation?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2013 00:00

Are there any Responsive Design rules or settings that can be used with the Sitefinity navigation widgets?  I'm wondering specifically about the horizontal navigation 

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello, Ray.

While responsive design is a good practice and there is an abundance of general discussion topics, best practices etc, proper responsive design is all about the details and specifics of each individual case.

There are a many of important traits when it comes responsive design, but I will outline just two:
-- how does site layout transform?
-- how do widgets transform?

When it comes to layout, that's not usually a big issue: columns shrink initially and reorder eventually.

But the more important question is: how do widgets transform? let's narrow it down, just to the widgets of interest -- navigation widgets, namely menu and tabs.

There are many points to consider:
-- if the navigation is horizontal, will it shrink (including font-size) or will it become vertical?
-- if there are pop out menus, how will those be handled?
-- some suggest to apply "native"-like mobile look to such widgets, but which platform to choose?
-- if such approach is chosen, will the "native"-like mobile look go well with the rest of the site?

And so on and so forth...

That all is to say, what I started with: that there are many aspects when it comes to responsive design and they are all specific to each individual case. I could surely give you a general advice, but that wouldn't be much different than just googling for "responsive design".

I would really to help you, but I would appreciate a bit of context first:
-- what resolution breakpoints are you considering / planning?
-- do you prefer a specific device over the rest or not?
-- would that device be a phone or a tablet?
-- when you say "navigation" would that be implemented with tabs or menu?
-- anything specific you can think of regarding the behaviour of the widgets when transformed (pop out menus, per say)

As a start a simple screenshot would do.

Note that since this is a forum post you can attach only images to it.

All the best,
Ivan Zhekov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed