Responsive & Mobile Design link is now missing

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 09:17

Responsive & Mobile Design link is now missing

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello, I set-up a site to be responsive using Sitefinity version 6.
Today I notice that the link Design > Responsive & Mobile Design is no longer present in the administration area and my site is no longer responsive. Does anyone know what would cause this link to be no longer visible?

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Sep-2013 00:00

Hey Colleen,

Have you checked your license file, in case you've perhaps overwritten it with a wrong one?
In the backend go into Administration >> Version & Licensing.
Under extensions the 'Mobile Web Add-on' should be listed.

If that's not it, have you checked if (for some reason) the module isn't active no more?
In the backend go into Administration >> Modules & Services.
Halfway down you should see an item marked 'Responsive & Mobile design' and it should say 'Active' underneath.

When you set it active again, remember to restart the website in order for it to properly kick in.

Lastly, you could check your SystemConfig.config file.
Near the top under <applicationModules> you'll see all the modules listed.
There should be one (around line 20) which should read <add version="6.1.4300.0" name="ResponsiveDesign" />
Where it matches your Sitefinity version of course.

Remove the version="6.1.4300.0" so you'll end up with: <add name="ResponsiveDesign" /> and restart your website.
That should trigger Sitefinity to try and reinitialize it.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2013 00:00

Hi Colleen,

I don't have what to add, Jochem already listed all recommended actions. Please let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

Regards,
Jen Peleva
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Sep-2013 00:00

Thank you for your replies. A bit more history - I developed a responsive site using the Responsive Design available in the Sitefinity CMS. I did this using the 30 day trail. I then purchased the standard license for Sitefinity, but I did not realise previously that the Responsive Design was part of the Mobile Add-On. So the Responsive Design is no longer available on my site, because as yet I have not purchased the Mobile Add-On.

But what I am confused about, is that someone informed me my responsive site should still work. However I thought that I would still need to purchase the Mobile Add-On for my site to be responsive again (i.e. without making manual changes myself through Media Queries, change to style files).

Please confirm:
If I made responsive changes to my site by only using the Responsive Design available in Sitefinity, do I need to purchase the "Mobile Add-On" for my site to be responsive again?

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Sep-2013 00:00

Hey Colleen,

In short: Yes, you need to purchase the Mobile Add-on.

While 'responsive design' in general refers to the use of media-queries, something you can do outside of Sitefinity, the Mobile add-on in Sitefinity has evolved beyond just a preview pane and an media-query editing interface. 

So even if you stopped caring about the backend-users and simply hard-code stuff you'd not be able to give the same front end user experience without the add-on.

Jochem.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Sep-2013 00:00

Hello guys,

Jochem is absolutely correct. Our standard license does not have the eCommerce, Load balancing and Mobile extensions. They are available as add-ons to your current Sitefinity license.

For your convenience please review the Full Feature List.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Feb-2014 00:00

We're in the process of acquiring the add on for the Responsive & Mobile Design module.  Once we have it, what is the process to install the module?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Feb-2014 00:00

Hi all,

@Thom

The process is going to be explained in detail by your account manager once you obtain the licence. It really is simple - you apply your new .lic file from Administration->Version and licencing. Click on Activate new and select your new licence that you downloaded from your sitefinity.com account. At that point the add-on should be visible and functional, but in case it is not, you can install and activate the module from Administration->Modules and Services.

Regards,
Ivan D. Dimitrov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2014 00:00

We got the license and applied it across our different registered sub domains for dev and testing.  It is working in 4 of the 8.  The licensing looks the same in all of them, so don't have any idea why it would be working for some, but not all.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2014 00:00

Never mind...Just needed to force SiteFinity to re-initialize the Responsive Design model like Jochem suggested near the top of this chain.  It was just odd that half of them were working and the other half weren't when I didn't do anything different between the two sets of environments. 

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2014 00:00

Back again...Now that I'm trying to deploy our brand new responsive site, I can't create responsive group rules in my production site.  It goes off to do the waiting animation and never comes back to let me enter information in for the group.

I've even gone through the deactivate/uninstall/install dance and nothing different.  Everything installs perfectly and the link for responsive & mobile design comes back just like what you would expect, but can't create a group rule no matter what I do.

Any suggestions?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Oct-2014 00:00

Hello Thom,

Can you share the error log file located in ~/App_Data/Sitefinity/Logs/Error.log. I also suspect that you have a service failing (if you turn on browser console you should see it), so you can provide us a screenshot if there is any.

I could advise you to open a support ticket as this would require in depth investigation, possibly also to share the project with us.

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed