Category classification in custom widget template

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 14:51

Category classification in custom widget template

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi all,

Using the module builder I created a custom content type (let's say "Product") with a classification based on categories. This works well. Now I'm trying to create a custom widget template for this. I am working on the list view that requires the Products to be listed, grouped by category. I haven't been able to create this so far. This is what I have now:

<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.PublicControls.BrowseAndEdit" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ContentUI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Comments" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix="telerik" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" %>
<telerik:RadListView ID="dynamicContentListView" ItemPlaceholderID="ItemsContainer" runat="server" EnableEmbeddedSkins="false" EnableEmbeddedBaseStylesheet="false" GroupPlaceholderID="GroupsProductsContainer">
    <LayoutTemplate>
<section class="presentation-blocks">
<asp:PlaceHolder ID="GroupsProductsContainer" runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder>
</section>
    </LayoutTemplate>
<GroupTemplate>
<ul>
<h2>(Category Name)</h2>
<asp:PlaceHolder ID="ItemsContainer" runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder>
        </ul>
</GroupTemplate>
    <ItemTemplate>
<li>
<a href="#">
<div class="block-canvas">
<span class="label"><sf:DetailsViewHyperLink ID="DetailsViewHyperLink" TextDataField="Title" runat="server" /></span>
</div>
</a>
</li>
    </ItemTemplate>
</telerik:RadListView>
<sf:Pager id="pager" runat="server"></sf:Pager>
<asp:PlaceHolder ID="socialOptionsContainer" runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder>

How can I group on category classification and display the category-name on the desired place (see "GroupTemplate")?

Thanks!

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2013 00:00

Hello,

To render the names of the categories assigned for each item in the list template, edit the list template and use HierarchicalTaxonField control to render the categories for the item.

<sitefinity:HierarchicalTaxonField
          ID="HierarchicalFieldControl"
          runat="server"
          TaxonomyId="E5CD6D69-1543-427b-AD62-688A99F5E7D4"
          DisplayMode="Read"
          WebServiceUrl="~/Sitefinity/Services/Taxonomies/HierarchicalTaxon.svc"
          Expanded="false" TaxonomyMetafieldName="Category"
          ExpandText="ClickToAddCategories" BindOnServer="true" />
The ID highlighted here is the ID of the Categories classification if you are using different hierarchical classification place its Id at the highlighted part.
This control renders the names of the categories as strings.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Oct-2013 00:00

Hi Stanislav,

Thank you for your reply. So if I understand your reply correctly this renders the name of the category? Does it also sort items based on their category and display these items ordered by category?

So a structure like:

*Categoryname*
- Item 1
- Item 2
- Item 3

*Categoryname*
- Item 4
- Item 5
- Item 6

This type of structure is what I'm looking for. I can, of course, place 5 list-widgets on the page but that would require me to make 5 separate widget templates. Due to design choices, that would take too long to explain here. So I'd prefer not to. Is this structure possible with one single widget?

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Oct-2013 00:00

Hello,

The category display field renders the list of categories for each item, here is a screenshot  because for example the widget that displays a list of items will add categories to each item in the list

To create a custom control that will display a list of all categories and what items those categories are assigned to. The query to retrieve the items of particular type (I used News items) that are classified with specific category use the query below.

using Telerik.Sitefinity.Model;

var manager = TaxonomyManager.GetManager();
           var newsManager = NewsManager.GetManager();
           //retrieve all categories
           var categoriesTaxa = manager.GetTaxonomy<HierarchicalTaxonomy>(TaxonomyManager.CategoriesTaxonomyId);
           var taxomonyList = categoriesTaxa.Taxa;

foreach (var item in taxomonyList)

//category name
               var categoryName = item.Name;

//get the news items assigned to category
               var collection = newsManager.GetNewsItems().Where(n => n.GetValue<TrackedList<Guid>>("Category").Contains(item.Id));

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed