UI to change the field control used against a column.
Right now you have to edit the config directly and modify the DB
Steve could you elaborate on this, really lay it out?
Let me know if I understand it correctly:
I suppose you mean the column of backend grids thaty display lists of items in content modules like in news, events, etc. New columns are added from advanced settings in Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Events -> Controls -> EventsBackend -> Views -> EventsBackendList -> View Modes -> Grid -> Columns and there press Create new -> DataColumnElement. The columns use markup and access service information for the module to display data.
As you mention field selector maybe you mean SQL database table column where field controls used in modules save the input of the field control.
the Telerik team
Okay, let me paint you guys a picture here...
1) You create a new custom field of type Short, default options, save
2) User comes to you and says "I kinda want that to be a time picker instead of me entering it free-form, it feels more safe" (Like this would ever happen, more likely we want the data integrity b/c they keep borking it)
3) REGARDLESS...you go ahead and make the field control to handle the data demos.kendoui.com/.../index.html
So now we're stuck at the PIA part...swapping out that shorttext field control for the new one.
So it's a 2 step process:
1) Edit the .config file, find the fields in the (3?) places, and replace the type name
2) Edit the database (sf_mb_dynamic_module_field I believe), and change the type name in there as well
Doing JUST #1 appears to work until someone adds a new field, then it resets itself, likely due to the definition in the database.
SOOOOO the feature request is to put that field\type selector back into the UI **AFTER** the column already exists. This shouldn't be a huge deal...don't need to change the column type (like int -> varchar), just the field control assigned to it. Saving changes would update both the config and DB.
The request is logged, here is the the request in PITS.
All the best,
the Telerik team