Sitefinity 7: Enable language fallback for custom modules

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 21:06

Sitefinity 7: Enable language fallback for custom modules

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 13-May-2014 00:00

This setting is available for the built-in content modules. For example, to enable this for the News module:

Content > News > click on Settings in the right column > expand Controls > NewsFrontend > Views > NewsFrontendList > type "true" in the Item language fallback field (When in multilingual mode gets or sets whether items with no translation for the current language will be shown.)

How can I apply such a setting for a custom  content type?

Scenario: Contacts on a multilingual site should display in their native language on the corresponding language site and in English everywhere else. Contacts are a custom content type with names, bio, email, phone numbers etc. fields.

Example: Our Managing Director in Japan is of Japanese nationality. His name, bio etc. should appear in Japanese on the Japanese language site. His name, bio etc. should appear in English on the US, French and German websites.

Currently, to achieve this, I would need to add French and English "translations" of the content item which contain the English language version. With 300+ contacts and frequent title/bio updates, this is inefficient.

How can I enable language fallback for selected custom content types?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-May-2014 00:00

Hello Andrei,

You have this setting for any content type.

To access this for your dynamic type, please browse Administration >> Settings >> Advanced >> DynamicModuels >> Controls >> YourType >> Views >> YourTypeBackendListView

Here is also a video for your convenience.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Vassil Vassilev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-May-2014 00:00

Thank you, this worked!

I appreciate the screencast, too, made things crystal clear.

Update: This worked in terms of letting me change the property of BackendListView.

Unfortunately this is not a property which influences the behavior of the list on the front end. The property I need to change is FrontEndListView, and that property is not available in the settings. 

Any ideas? 

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Sep-2014 00:00

I have the same requirement.

I have a custom content type called properties on a multilingual site. Since the custom type has only street address, city etc, we don't have translations for them. So when I use the auto generated Properties widget, it doesnt show any items on the french page if I don't add translations. I want to add a similar fallback option.

This thread is closed