Make Search Index index all pages with Content Type on it

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 19:05

Make Search Index index all pages with Content Type on it

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Dec-2014 00:00

Hi,

We are using Sitefinity 6.1 

We have a custom module, Recipe.  Recipe has a sub content type, RecipePage.  I have a search index created that indexes only RecipePages.  There are 2 pages in the site that display the RecipePage content.

/Recipe/

/New/Recipe

When I am editing Recipe Pages in the content module, and I click on "Pages where items like this are published": I see both "/Recipe" and "/New/Recipe" with priorities 1 and 2 respectively.  When I create a search page using the Recipe Index I created, I only see the results like "/Recipe/<name-of-recipe>".  My expectation is that I will see both "/Recipe/<name-of-recipe>" and "/New/Recipe/<name-of-recipe>".  Said another way, I am only see half the results I am expecting to see.  If I then go and switch the priorities making /New/Recipe the top priority page where Recipe items are published, I get the reverse result seeing only "/New/Recipe/<name-of-recipe>"  instead of seeing both "/Recipe/<name-of-recipe>" and "/New/Recipe/<name-of-recipe>".  How can I get the search index to index all pages where the content items are displayed?

Thank you,

Dan

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2014 00:00

Hi Dan,

When you create for example dynamic items and display the dynamic items on different pages, Sitefinity will include all the items in the search index but in the search results will display the url to the page where the item opens by default.

If you divide the items by categories or tags and for example on one page display only items from one category and on the other page display items from another category, Sitefinity will display in the search results the url of the page where the item is published.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2014 00:00

Hi Sabrie,

Thank you for responding!  I understand how the search index works a little better now, and I think I can be more clear on the problem that I am trying to solve.  

I would like to be able to extend the functionality of the Search Results widget.  As you pointed out: "the search results will display the url to the page where the item opens by default".  The functionality I would like to add is the ability to set which page displays the content items.  Is it possible to extend the functionality of the built in search results widget?  If so, what method or methods should I override to determine what URL's to use?

Thanks!

Dan

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2014 00:00

Hi Dan,

Can you please go to Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> Search -> Controls -> SearchBackend -> Views -> SearchBackendInsert -> Sections -> PipeSettingsSectionInbound -> Fields -> InboundSettings and check the Show content location checkbox. Then please save the changes.

Please make sure that the Show content location checkbox is checked for the SearchBackendEdit view as well and after saving the changes, please restart the application (e.g. by resaving the web.config file). 

After performing the above steps, you can go and edit your search index and select the default page where your content types (e.g. News, Events, Blog posts and etc.) are published on. Here is a short video for your reference.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Jan-2015 00:00

Thank you Sabrie, that was very helpful and exactly what I was looking for.  The only minor problem I have is:

When RecipePages are returned in the search results, the main link to the recipe has the PageNumber as the text of the link instead of the Recipe's Title.  

For example, assume we have a Recipe called "Chicken Noodle Soup" and it has 4 pages. If the fourth page is in the search results, as a title it will have "4" instead of "Chicken Noodle Soup".

Is it possible to reference the base content type's title instead?

Thank you!

Dan

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2015 00:00

Hello Dan,

This is really strange. I have tried to reproduce this on my end but without any success. I am sending attached a short video demonstrating the steps I took on my side and the results.

Can you please let me know if I am missing something in my steps? In addition to this, can you please record a video demonstrating the exact use case scenario, the steps you take to reproduce the issue and the behavior on your end. This way I will get better picture of the problem and how to reproduce it on my end.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

This thread is closed