Need help with Module Builder 8.0: "Link" a new cu

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 16:17

Need help with Module Builder 8.0: "Link" a new custom module to an existing SQL table

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2015 00:00

Greetings,

I am currently undergoing the process of upgrading our SiteFinity 3.7 to 8.0. One of the biggest hurdles I have been experiencing is with custom modules.

For my question that I have; I will use "Career Opportunities" as my example:

We have a "Career Opportunities" or "Job Postings", if you will,  on our webpage. Its a very straightforward content type with [date/posting-id/title/body/related tags]. I can easily make the exact same content type in SiteFinity 8.0 with the nice Module Builder (very impressive by the way).

The issue I have is trying to figure out how I can link this new Module to my already existing table in my SQL database.

My thoughts so far on how to achieve this are:

1) do a simple SQL script that writes from my old Job Table to the new Job Table

2) export my dynamic module as shown below, and change the table reference (not exactly sure where/how i would go about this)

"docs.sitefinity.com/import-and-export-a-dynamic-module

I do not know the best practice approach to achieve this. Any suggestions or thumbs up on one of my two thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

You can't really do this :/  I don't suppose you could just migrate your other table data INTO the module builder though the api?

Option 2 is to maybe just use thunder to create your own custom module which you could then control where the data comes from. 

Thanks for your quick response! I think I believe thunder will meet my requirements. Thanks so much for the direction.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Aug-2015 00:00

[quote]Option 2 is to maybe just use thunder to create your own custom module which you could then control where the data comes from. [/quote]

So what I have done so far is I followed the "Sitefinity custom module creation with Thunder" on You Tube. Please correct me if im wrong; but all I would need to do after the custom module is in place is change the following file to point to my existing db table: 

Data > EntityConfigurations > JobItemTypeConfiguration.cs

Or is there a way with Thunder to create the module FROM the existing database?

This thread is closed