How to Create Custom Generic Content Module

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 02:30

How to Create Custom Generic Content Module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi There,

I've gone through the basic steps of the Jobs Module creation and except for getting it to appear in the content menu it was relatively painless (but the menu part was really painful!!). What I'd like to do next is create a module that's based on the Generic Content Module, basically exactly like the Generic Content Module but with 3-4 text fields, and a file selector to associate a file with the content. My question is, is there a way we can get the "views" or "resources" used for the various modules? I'd like to have my BackendOverviewTemplate.ascx (and all other steps) to look the same as the Generic Content module so the UI is consistent. I'm assuming this is what would be required. If there's a different way to inherit and add content to a custom generic content module please advise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Phill

Hello Phill Hodgkinson,

We are working on a sample module and we will illustrate in our sample how you can create a new type of a given module. We will create a blog post or include the sample as an article in our documentation. There are  issues that make this task no so easy as it is in 3.x editions and currently we are modifying our code to simplify this process. 

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

Thanks for the update Ivan, I won't waste any more time trying to do something that's not possible yet. Any idea if these required changes are going to be part of Beta 2 that's to arrive very soon?

Thanks again,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi Phill Hodgkinson,

In the BETA 2 we will have support for .NET 4.0, scheduling and filtering options. Improvements in the flunet api and versioning , other fixed and some new features.

Sincerely yours,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Sep-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

So is it safe to assume then if we want to build our next Sitefinity site with 4.0 and it requires custom modules that are extensions of built in modules (i.e. Generic Content) that we have to wait until the final release? Can you at least let me know if the templates will be available at the same time as the release version so this can be done? I have a project that I really want to launch in SF4 but I can only stall the client for so long. If I stall them until release only to find out that I'm still not able to build custom modules I can say bye to the project, which I don't want to happen (yet I don't want to build 3.7 modules to only have to rebuild them a short time later).

Thanks in advance for any more info on this matter.

Cheers,
Phill

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Sep-2010 00:00

Hello Phill,

The BETA versions are not suitable for active development, because there are missing features, API changes, database changes and upgrades between versions cannot ensure that your custom logic will be upgraded with the proper references. We will provide samples and all resources that you need to create a custom provider or module based on the existing one with the Release candidate which will be enough stable and allow you to start developing. You might find this post useful - Should I use the Sitefinity 4.0 BETA for a new web site?

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed