VB.NET

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 08:24

VB.NET

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello

I do my develpment in VB.NET. When I open a Sitefinity 4 project using the Project Manager in Visual Studio 2010 it does not give me a choice to use a VB.NET version. Is there a template somewhere I am missing.

Thanks.
John

Hi John Stewart,

Thank you for using our services.

Indeed the Sitefinity web application is a C# project. We intend on providing Visual Studio templates for creating controls and modules in different languages. Currently what you can do is to create code libraries in VB and build your custom controls into assemblies. Then you will be able to reference those assemblies in your Sitefinity web application.

Sincerely yours,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

Thanks Radoslav.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2010 00:00

I am developing some custom controls in VB.NET. I have created a Visual Studio 4 VB.NET project and am creating a collection of usercontrols that do not need to interact with Sitefinity's libraries.

When I am in the Visual Studio project I use Add New Item, select Web Usercontrol, and start from there. When I am finished and want to use that control in Sitefinity I change the following information in the .ascx file

CodeBehind="UserControlName.ascx.vb"  to CodeFile="UserControlName.ascx.vb" 

AND

Inherits="VisualStudioProjectName.UserControlName" to Inherits="UserControlName"

After this I load the .ascx and .vb file into a designated folder in the Sitefinity project, add the control to the toolbox, and all sees to work alright.

My concern is that just because it works doesn't mean I am doing this correctly. The changing of the .ascx header leaves me feeling like I am doing something wrong.

Can you comment as to whether my approach is correct.

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Nov-2010 00:00

Hello John,

We ship our application as a C# project. You can create a separate class library in VB, or create your vb user controls in visual basic project  and then just paste them in Sitefinity project. 
Another option is converting Sitefinity 4.0 BETA2 to website instead of running it as a web application( which is the default stage).

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Dec-2010 00:00

I am trying to run through the tutorial in from Sitefinity 4 Beta 2 PDF 'How to Create A Widget'  and am trying to do so using VB.NET.

Running the following C# code through your converter

RadRotator1.DataSource = App.WorkWith().NewsItems().Where(n => n.Status == ContentLifecycleStatus.Live).Get().Take(this.NewsLimit).ToList() .Join(App.WorkWith().Images().Get().Where(i => i.Parent.Title == "Thumbnails" && i.Status == ContentLifecycleStatus.Live), item => item.Title.Value, image => image.Title.Value, (item, image) => new NewsItem = item, NewsImage = image ); RadRotator1.ItemDataBound += new RadRotatorEventHandler(RadRotator1_ItemDataBound); RadRotator1.DataBind();

I get

RadRotator1.DataSource = App.WorkWith().NewsItems().Where(Function(n) n.Status = ContentLifecycleStatus.Live).[Get]().Take(Me.NewsLimit).ToList().Join(App.WorkWith().Images().[Get]().Where(Function(i) i.Parent.Title = "Thumbnails" AndAlso i.Status = ContentLifecycleStatus.Live), Function(item) item.Title.Value, Function(image) image.Title.Value, Function(item, image) New With _
    .NewsItem = item, _
    .NewsImage = image _
)

This results in a couple errors:

Error   3   Overload resolution failed because no accessible 'Where' can be called with these arguments:
    'Public Overridable Function Where(expression As String, ParamArray values() As Object) As Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.ContentFluentApi.NewsPluralFacade(Of Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.ContentFluentApi.BaseFacade)': Lambda expression cannot be converted to 'String' because 'String' is not a delegate type.
    'Public Overridable Function Where(what As System.Linq.Expressions.Expression(Of System.Func(Of Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model.NewsItem, Boolean))) As Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.ContentFluentApi.NewsPluralFacade(Of Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.ContentFluentApi.BaseFacade)': 'ContentLifecycleStatus' is not declared. It may be inaccessible due to its protection level.

And

Error   5   'Where' is not a member of 'System.Linq.IQueryable(Of Telerik.Sitefinity.Libraries.Model.Image)'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello John S.,

You should use image.Parent.Title.Value. The Title property is of type Lstring and its seems that VB cannot implicitly convert this type to string. Bellow is sample:

Imports System.Data
Imports System.Linq
Imports System.Web.Query.Dynamic
Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls.Expressions
Imports Telerik.Sitefinity
Imports Telerik.Sitefinity.Data.Linq.Dynamic
Imports Telerik.Sitefinity.GenericContent.Model
Imports Telerik.Web.Data.Extensions
Imports Telerik.Web.UI

Public Class Class1
    Dim NewsLimit As Integer = 25
    Public Sub c()
        Dim RadRotator1 As RadRotator = New RadRotator()
        RadRotator1.DataSource = App.WorkWith().NewsItems().Where( _
            Function(n) n.Status = GenericContent.Model.ContentLifecycleStatus.Live).Get().Take(Me.NewsLimit).ToList().Join(App.WorkWith().Images().Where(Function(i) i.Parent.Title.Value = "Thumbnails" AndAlso i.Status = ContentLifecycleStatus.Live).Get().ToList(), Function(item) item.Title.Value, Function(image) image.Title.Value, Function(item, image) New With _
    .NewsItem = item, _
    .NewsImage = image _
)
    End Sub
End Class

Greetings,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi there,

You should be able to create a VB project and then add the files needed in the project and then add references to SF?
Then create the files you want in vb:)

/Thanks

This thread is closed