RC4 : creating a module

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 18:05

RC4 : creating a module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello,

For my website, i need to create a module to manage a product catalog or news. Is there any docs about this? What are best practices? I don't find a lot of documentation about SF4. It is the same as SF3.7 (i never use Sitefinity).

Thanks for your answer!

Jocelyn

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi jocelyn,

We are working on a sample module that will be shipped with the official release as a part of our SDK. Meanwhile you can take a look at the basic Jobs sample module.

Greetings,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for answering.

I already follow this tutorial. But it works with Dynamic Data by extending Documents Content Type. So it doesn't create a new data table. For our modules, we need to work with specific data tables. For example, a product is categorized. In the back end, we must be able to create, update, delete, publish, unpublish items to display them on the front end.

Can we do this with dynamic data or should we use other data access?

I can't wait the official release to start developing my modules. Can you give me a way to start with?

Thanks for your answer.

Jocelyn

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Dec-2010 00:00

Hello jocelyn,

You can use DynamicFacede with each content item like NewsItem, ContentItem, EventItem etc. Generally you need to create a custom module and custom dynamic type.  You might find this post useful
We are working on a sample module that will be a part of our SDK for the official release.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

Hi Ivan,

Will you be including in the SDK a sample for a Generic Content Based Module like the sample products module for SF3? http://www.sitefinity.com/help/developer-manual/products-module-simple-implementation.html

Hello Joseph,

We have plans to do this for the official release. We will have a module similar to products module in Sitefinity 3.x, but based on 4.0 API.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi,

I read the post. I found it not very clearly.

What is the structure of the module? In which file each part of code goes?

Can you produce a zip archieve with a complete sample?
Can you provide me more informations about module developement?

Thanks

Jocelyn

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi jocelyn,

We sent a reply in another thread you opened here. The module is not complete so we cannot distribute it to you.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Dec-2010 00:00

Hi There,

We have several custom modules that we built for 3.7, we now are planning our migration and converitng these modules is essential. Is there any helpfull samples or documentattion on creating this for 4.0?

Regards,
Jean Erasmus

Hello Jean,

Generally you have to rewrite the modules, because the architecture is completely different. You can take a look at the SDK which provides a very basic sample module. I suggest that you should wait for the official release when we will be ready with the advanced samples about how to create a custom module.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Hi There,

I've taken a look at the sample in the SDK and that is just extending documents, which we don't need. This is really disapointing as we would have liked to be almost ready by the time it is finally released.

Regards,
Jean Erasmus

Hi There,

Why no make the source code available of one of your built in modules e.g. News as a sample guide and to assist the community in getting ready. I would have thought that one of Telerik's aims should be to make sure that the uptake of 4.0 gets of to a flying start.

Regards,
Jean Erasmus

Hi Jean,

You can see the entire code through reflector. Have you tried this?

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed