how to make communication between user controller and Contro

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 08:56

how to make communication between user controller and Controll Designer ?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Dec-2010 00:00

HI,

how to make communication between user controller and Controll Designer  in sitefinity 4.0 ? for Example

1. i created user control a.ascx

2. i created control designer adesigner.ascx for a.ascx user control.

how do i connect(communicate) both user control and control desinger ?

thanks
Humayoo

Hi humayoo,

You cannot have a control designer for a user control you have to use a custom control. You can use ControlDesigner attribute to connect the control to the designer

sample

[ControlDesigner(typeof(YourDesigner))]
public class MyClass : Simpleview
 // do something

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

hi,

i am getting trouble.please see my code and suggest me where am i wrong?

1. created user control and its name is frontuser.ascx

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="frontuser.ascx.cs" Inherits="controls_test_frontuser" %>

<asp:TextBox ID="TextBox1" runat="server"></asp:TextBox>

2. i created control designer and its name is FrontUserControlDesigner.ascx

<%@ Register TagPrefix="telerik" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" TagPrefix="sitefinity" %>
    <sitefinity:ResourceLinks id="resourcesLinks" runat="server">
    <sitefinity:ResourceFile JavaScriptLibrary="JQuery" />
    <sitefinity:ResourceFile Name="Skins/Grid.css" />
    <sitefinity:ResourceFile Name="Skins/ToolBar.css" />
    <sitefinity:ResourceFile Name="Skins/Ajax.css" />
</sitefinity:ResourceLinks>

<asp:SiteMapDataSource ID="SiteMapDataSource1" runat="server" />

<telerik:RadTreeView id="RadTreeView1" runat="server" DataSourceID="SiteMapDataSource1" Skin="Sitefinity" OnClientNodeClicked="function() return false;" >
        <DataBindings>
            <telerik:RadTreeNodeBinding ValueField="Id" />
        </DataBindings>
    </telerik:RadTreeView>
</div>

<p class="sfButtonArea sfSelectorBtns">
    <asp:LinkButton ID="DoneButton" runat="server" OnClientClick="return false;" CssClass="sfLinkBtn sfSave">DoneButton</asp:LinkButton>
    <asp:Literal ID="literalOr" runat="server" Text="<%$Resources:Labels, or %>" />
    <asp:LinkButton ID="CancelButton" runat="server" CssClass="sfCancel" OnClientClick="return false;">CancelButton</asp:LinkButton>
</p>

3. custom class( or  Designer class whatever ) is

using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Web.UI;
using System;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign;

[ControlDesigner(typeof("~/controls/test/WebUserControl.ascx"))]
public class CustomDialogSelector : SimpleScriptView
    #region Public Methods

public bool CheckBoxes

get;
        set;

#endregion

#region Properties

protected override string LayoutTemplateName

get

return "~/controls/test/frontuser.ascx";

private RadTreeView SiteMapTreeView

get

return Container.GetControl<RadTreeView>();

private LinkButton DoneButton

get

return Container.GetControl<LinkButton>("DoneButton", true);

private string UseCheckboxes

get

return this.CheckBoxes.ToString().ToLower();

private LinkButton CancelButton

get

return Container.GetControl<LinkButton>("CancelButton", true);

public string OnDoneClientSelection

get;
        set;

#endregion

#region Methods

/// <summary>
    /// Gets a collection of script descriptors that represent (JavaScript) client components.
    /// </summary>
    public override IEnumerable<System.Web.UI.ScriptDescriptor> GetScriptDescriptors()

var descriptor = new ScriptControlDescriptor(this.GetType().FullName, this.ClientID);
        descriptor.AddComponentProperty("siteMapTree", SiteMapTreeView.ClientID);

descriptor.AddElementProperty("doneButton", DoneButton.ClientID);
        descriptor.AddElementProperty("cancelButton", CancelButton.ClientID);
        descriptor.AddProperty("checkboxes", UseCheckboxes);
        if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(this.OnDoneClientSelection))
            descriptor.AddEvent("doneClientSelection", this.OnDoneClientSelection);
        return new[] descriptor ;

/// <summary>
    /// Gets a collection of objects that define script resources that the control requires.
    /// </summary>
    public override IEnumerable<System.Web.UI.ScriptReference> GetScriptReferences()

// here you can return reference to a custom script that your control
        // will use.
        string assembly = this.GetType().Assembly.GetName().ToString();
        List<ScriptReference> res = new List<ScriptReference>
               new ScriptReference(selectorScript, assembly),
           ;
        return res;

protected override void OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

base.OnPreRender(e);
        var controlSiteMap = this.SiteMapTreeView;
        controlSiteMap.CheckBoxes = this.CheckBoxes;
        controlSiteMap.DataBind();
        controlSiteMap.ExpandAllNodes();

protected override void InitializeControls(Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.GenericContainer container)

#endregion

#region Fields

private const string selectorScript = "Telerik.Sitefinity.Samples.AlterScript.js";
    private const string templatePath = "Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Templates.Samples.PageTemplate.ascx";
    #endregion

i put frontuser.ascx in place holder of template so user can view.
from administrator login when user edit this control,  control desinger (frontusercontroldesinger.ascx)  view must be there(like page selector). but it was not working.

i want to make page selector .make guide me where am i wrong?

thanks
Humayoo

Hello humayoo,

Please check this post where it is show how to create page selector. You are also missing the javascript code where you should bind the RadTreeView on the client and persist selected nodes.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2011 00:00

Ivan, did I undestand you correctly in your above posting that there is no way to add a custom control designer to my user control?  (You said: "You cannot have a control designer for a user control you have to use a custom control").  Did you mean to say that you can't use a user control AS a control designer, or that you can't use a control designer with a user control?

I knew that the control designer itself could not be a user control.  It must be a custom control.  But do I have to convert my existing user control into a custom control just so that I can add a user friendly control designer?

I have a usercontrol I use in Sitefinity 3.7 for which I have written a control designer and I am attempting to convert it.  I tried starting from scratch following the NewsRotator example, but so far all my experiements have failed.  I used the The control designer seems to work and it pops up but it is always empty and even the Save and Cancel buttons do nothing.  I want to make sure that what I am attempting is even possible before I spend any more days on this.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi Jeff,

I sent you a link to the documentation from where you can get a sample code. There is a SDK from where you can download the entire sample.

In 3.x you cannot use ControlDesigner with a user control as well. There is not such a scenario that we have showed somewhere. We have always used custom controls that inherit from CompositeControl, SimpleControl or ContentView control.

You are getting some issues with the designer, because the template is not set correctly or there is a problem with the java script ( if the problem is related to the java scrip there must be an error in the browser console)

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

I'm not trying to make a control designer _with_ a user control.  I'm trying to make one _for_ a user control.  Just like in your article here:

http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/ivan/post/08-04-23/how_to_create_a_control_designer_for_user_controls.aspx

I've done this in Sitefinity 3.7 but I was wondering if this is still possible in 4.  The tutorial only mentions creating control designers for custom controls. Based on your response, I think the answer must be yes, but it seems I hadn't made my question clear yet.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2011 00:00

Hi,

Actually you will be able to do this. You need to use ControlDesigner attribute in your user control.

[Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign.ControlDesigner(typeof(MyControlDesigner))]
public partial class ButtonTest : System.Web.UI.UserControl

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed