Can't use Bind in RadGrid FormTemplate in custom control

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 13:01

Can't use Bind in RadGrid FormTemplate in custom control

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello
I have a custom control that is using a RadGrid that uses a Linqdatasouce to one of our external databases. I'm trying to use a EditTemplate, but any control within that template that uses a <%# %> expression causes the error below:
This occurs in textboxes with a

Text='<%# Bind("Id") %>'

It occurs in buttons from the RadGrid examples page as below:
<asp:Button ID="btnUpdate" Text='<%# (Container is GridEditFormInsertItem) ? "Insert" : "Update" %>' runat="server" CommandName='<%# (Container is GridEditFormInsertItem) ? "PerformInsert" : "Update" %>'></asp:Button>

The error:
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: expression

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: expression]
   System.Web.UI.DataBinder.Eval(Object container, String expression) +8705859
   System.Web.UI.DataBinder.Eval(Object container, String expression, String format) +12
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.Attribute.GetValue(SubstitutionItem subst, Control bindingContainer) +515
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.Attribute.GetValue(PropertyDescriptor descriptor, Control bindingContainer) +53
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.Attribute.SetAttribute(Object component, Control bindingContainer, Boolean bound) +167
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Templates.BoundAttribute.bindingContainer_DataBinding(Object sender, EventArgs e) +20
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnDataBinding(EventArgs e) +91
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +92
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind() +15
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBindChildren() +201
   System.Web.UI.Control.DataBind(Boolean raiseOnDataBinding) +101
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridEditFormItem.SetupItem(Boolean dataBind, Object dataItem, GridColumn[] columns, ControlCollection rows) +238
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.CreateInsertItem(Boolean useDataSource, GridEnumerableBase resolvedDataSource, ControlCollection rows) +320
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.CreateControlHierarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +1118
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.CreateChildControls(IEnumerable dataSource, Boolean useDataSource) +652
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CompositeDataBoundControl.PerformDataBinding(IEnumerable data) +66
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.OnDataSourceViewSelectCallback(IEnumerable data) +128
   System.Web.UI.DataSourceView.Select(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments, DataSourceViewSelectCallback callback) +33
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataBoundControl.PerformSelect() +143
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.PerformSelect() +16
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseDataBoundControl.DataBind() +74
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.DataBind() +256
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.Rebind() +49
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.InsertItem(IDictionary newValues) +147
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridTableView.InsertItem() +15
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridCommandEventArgs.ExecuteCommand(Object source) +3089
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadGrid.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +137
   System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +37
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridItem.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +38
   Telerik.Web.UI.GridItem.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +87
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +125
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +169
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +9
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +176
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

Using the autogenerated edittemplate works without generating an error but we want to use a custom template.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Ryan,

If you use our template parser for your control it is not possible to use expression like this one shown in your code

<asp:Button ID="btnUpdate" Text='<%# (Container is GridEditFormInsertItem) ? "Insert" : "Update" %>' runat="server" CommandName='<%# (Container is GridEditFormInsertItem) ? "PerformInsert" : "Update" %>'></asp:Button>

I suggest that you should try using VirtualPath provider implementation that we made for the official release of Sitefinity 4.0. To use it, you should override LayoutTemplatePath property in your control in case it inherits from SimpleView. Note that the path should start with ""~/sfres/": Below is a sample code

public override string LayoutTemplatePath
    get

return "~/sfres/Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Templates.Backend.MyGrid.ascx";

set

base.LayoutTemplatePath = value;

Let me know how it goes.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Feb-2011 00:00

Is there any further documentation/examples of this anywhere because I've added an override for LayoutTemplatePath and it can't find the template. I've searched through the SDK examples and How to's and can't find anything. The template is an embedded resource, is this incorrect?

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Ivan

I still can't get this to work. Is the ascx control still meant to be an embedded resource, and if not, where does it need to be placed in order to be found?

Thanks

Ryan

[ArgumentException: Cannot find template "/SFRes/Test.Resources.Views.TestView.ascx".]
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlUtilities.GetTemplate(String virtualPath, String resourceFileName, Type assemblyInfo, String templateDeclaration) +850
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlUtilities.GetControlTemplate(TemplateInfo info) +446
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlUtilities.GetTemplate(TemplateInfo info) +790
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.get_LayoutTemplate() +119
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.get_Container() +21
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.SimpleView.CreateChildControls() +46
   System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +102
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +42
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +175
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2496

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Ryan,

When you use Virtual Path provider the template should be embedded, but you should configure some settings from Sitefinity >> Administration >> Settings >> Advanced >> VirtualPathSettings >> Virtual Paths. You need to set VirtualPath  - path to the template and ResourceLocation - namespace and assembly name of your class library.

If you do not use embedded resource the template could be added to a folder of your application and it should be processes by ASP.NET parser.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

I can't access the VirtualPathSettings node, it seems to get stuck in a loop on both IE and Firefox. Just says "loading".
I've tried adding a VirtualPathSettingsConfig.config into the Configuration directory, but that hasn't helped either.

Thanks Ivan,

I got the custom module working with LayoutTemplatePath now by manually editing the VirtualPathSettingsConfig.config.

Is there a way of programmatically adding this setting during the module installation?

(the issue remains in the backend that i can not access the VirtualPath settings as it is stuck in a loop but it's not preventing me from continuing for the moment)

Ryan

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Ryan,

I remember that there was a bug with the way that the node is expanded, but it should be fixed in our internal builds.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!

This thread is closed