Help creating custom layout control

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 21:11

Help creating custom layout control

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello,

I followed this tutorial to create a custom layout control: http://www.sitefinity.com/40/help/developer-manual/pages-layouts-creating-layout-controls.html.  I am attempting to create a custom tab container and tab layout control.  I am doing it as a layout control because I need to be able to drop widget into the tab, such as images and content blocks.  I am able to get my layout control to show up in the page edit screen, but I cannot edit it or drag other elements on to it.

I have set up a separate project for my custom controls/layouts.  Here is the contents of my tab.cs:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI;

namespace IDT.Web.SitefinityControls.Layouts.Tabs
    public class Tab : LayoutControl

public override string Layout

get

return this.CustomTemplate;

public override string AssemblyInfo

get

return GetType().ToString();

set

base.AssemblyInfo = value;

protected override void CreateChildControls()

base.CreateChildControls();

public string CustomTemplate = "IDT.Web.SitefinityControls.Layouts.Tabs.Resources.Views.Tab";

and my Tab.ascx:
<%@ Control Language="C#" %>
<div id="TabCol" runat="server" class="tab sf_cols">
    <div id="TabColOut" runat="server" class="sf_colsOut">
        <div id="TabColIn" runat="server" class="sf_colsIn">

</div>
    </div>
</div>

Any ideas about what I am doing wrong?

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2011 00:00

Hello Sean,

Thank you for contacting Telerik Support.

I was able to run your code locally and all it does is to add a 100% column layout, on which I am able to put widgets, but it does not show tabs. Can you please clarify how you wish to create tabs?

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2011 00:00

My idea for creating tabs was to create a wrapper for the tabstrip from radcontrols, which is included in the distribution. I am planning on having two layout controls, a tab container and individual tabs.  Each tab can have any sort of widget dragged onto it. 

However, I can't get past just being able to drag content onto my layout control.  Also, when I click the edit link, it doesn't pull up the edit overlay.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Feb-2011 00:00

Hi Sean,

What you need is generally not supported, but I managed to create a working example of tabbed layout control using RadTabStrip and RadMultiPage. I have attached the source file. You must register the control the same way you will register any custom layout control.

You will notice that there are glitches - when you drag the control to a page/template, you will need to refresh the page, before dropping controls on it. Also, my implementation is using predefined tabs. It is certainly not perfect, but you should be able to further extend the control to better suit your needs.

I hope this helps.

Greetings,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Mar-2011 00:00

Lyubomir,

Thanks for your help.  That did work, although I was not able to figure out how to adapt it to my needs.

Instead I am trying to implement tabs as a widget.  I am getting the following error:

Server Error in '/Sitefinity' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   Telerik.Web.UI.TabStrip.Rendering.Renderer.AddAttributesToRender(HtmlTextWriter writer) +98
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.RenderBeginTag(HtmlTextWriter writer) +31
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +31
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +11249515
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +245
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +11249515
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +245
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer) +14
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +51
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +47
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTableRow.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +60
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +47
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTable.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +60
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadWebControl.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer) +118
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadWebControl.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +125
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadDockZone.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +205
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTableRow.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +60
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlTable.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +60
   Telerik.Web.UI.RadDockZone.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +205
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +314
   System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +39
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5273

I have tried to base it mostly off the NewsRotator widget.  I think that the offending code is in the TabControl.cs file:
using System;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using Telerik.Sitefinity;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.GenericContent.Model;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Localization;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.News.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.News.Model;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.DataResolving;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.ControlDesign;
using Telerik.Web.UI;

namespace IDT.Web.SitefinityControls.Widgets.Tabs
    [RequireScriptManager]
    [ControlDesigner(typeof(TabDesigner)), PropertyEditorTitle(typeof(Labels), "Tab Options")]
    class TabControl : SimpleView

private string providerName = "OpenAccessDataProvider";

public string[] Tabs get; set;

public int SelectedIndex get; set;

public int NumTabs get; set;

/// <summary>
        /// Default template name.
        /// </summary>
        private string layoutTemplateName = "IDT.Web.SitefinityControls.Widgets.Tabs.Resources.Views.Tabs.ascx";

/// <summary>
        /// Default design setting.
        /// </summary>
        private Tabs.TabDesign tabDesign = TabDesign.HorizontalTop;

public TabDesign TabDesign

get

return this.tabDesign;

set

this.tabDesign = value;

protected virtual RadMultiPage RadMultiPage1

get

return this.Container.GetControl<RadMultiPage>("RadMultiPage1", true);

protected virtual RadTabStrip RadTabStrip1

get

return this.Container.GetControl<RadTabStrip>("RadTabStrip1", true);

public virtual string ProviderName

get

return this.providerName;

set

this.providerName = value;

protected override void InitializeControls(GenericContainer container)

// Nothing here yet.

protected void RadTabStrip1_ItemDataBound(object sender, RadTabStripEventArgs e)

protected override string LayoutTemplateName

get

return this.layoutTemplateName;

//protected override HtmlTextWriterTag TagKey
        //
        //    get
        //   
        //        ////Use div wrapper tag to make easier common styling. This will surround the layout template with a div tag.
        //        return HtmlTextWriterTag.Div;
        //   
        //

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Mar-2011 00:00

Hello Sean,

In your first post you wrote that you need to be able to drag widgets in the tabs. You will not be able to do this with a simple widget, it must be a layout control. Has this requirement changed?

By the way, here's another way to simulate tabbed layout control, using custom master page and jQuery. This approach lets you define content place holders in the master page where you can drop any controls of your liking and wrap them in tabs.

In the master page paste this code:

<form id="form1" runat="server"
   <asp:ScriptManager runat="server" ID="scriptManager1"></asp:ScriptManager
   <div
       <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server"
       </asp:ContentPlaceHolder
   </div
   <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.5.1/jquery.min.js"></script
   <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.8.10/jquery-ui.min.js"></script
   <script
       $(function ()  
           $("#tabs").tabs(); 
       ); 
   </script
   <div id="tabs"
       <ul
           <li><a href="#tabs-1">News</a></li
           <li><a href="#tabs-2">Events</a></li
       </ul
       <div id="tabs-1"
       test1 
           <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="NewsPlaceholder" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder
       </div
       <div id="tabs-2"
       test2 
           <asp:ContentPlaceHolder ID="EventsPlaceHolder" runat="server"></asp:ContentPlaceHolder
       </div
   </div
   </form>

You can also check the following article for details:

http://jqueryui.com/demos/tabs/

All the best,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Mar-2011 00:00

Lyubomir,

Originally, I was attempting to create a sort of layout/widget hybrid that would allow to to drag any other content types onto the widget.  Since then I have abandoned that to try and just create a tab widget that would allow me to at least take advantage of the content editor and allow a site editor to set tab and tab names.

Unfortunately, the solution that you describe in your last post will not work because I need it to be something that a non-developer content editor can set up and use without developer needing to be involved.  It looks like what you are describing would work, but that it would require me to create a new tab instance each time they wanted to add something like that.

Thanks!

Sean

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Sean,

You are correct, the solution I proposed will not allow the users to add tabs by themselves. Currently I cannot think of a better solution. I will update the thread if I come up with an idea.

Greetings,
Lyubomir Dokov
the Telerik team
Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Lyubomir

What is the CSS for the master page you've posted before?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2012 00:00

We went through this same thought process when 4.x came out. What we ended up doing was to have two layout sections on the page. In one layout, we added generic content to place our ul for the tabs. In the other layout which was out tab pane layout, we added a layout for each control we wanted to feature as a tab pane. Each of these layouts could contain one or more controls.

For each of the tab pane layouts, we added a class to them. This was how our tabs were controlled. We used the jQuery tabs control, but modified it so that instead of using the anchors href value to link the tab and the tab pane, we just used the index. So tab one showed the first layout in our tab pane section.

You can see a working example of the tab control at the following site:
http://www,ttha.com

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2012 00:00

is the url www.ttha.com ?

Yes it is. Sorry for the typo.

The Recent News, Photos, & Our Blog are the tabs I am talking about.

As far as I understand, it's a kind-of-customizable tabbed control. If so, would you consider selling that solution as I'm fed up with the "next-version" story of sitefinity...

This is a rather simple setup. Give me some time to put together an archive and a short video on how to implement this.

Ok, I have created an archive with the files you will need and a short video on implementing the tabs. The control functionality is derived from the tabs plugin found here jQuery Tools. I tweaked this plugin to allow for the jquery UI styling to be used. Originally I thought it was the jQuery UI tabs but after further investigation, we used the jQuery Tools plugin. While you don't actually need the UI interface to run this, I did add it in my demo video. You would only need to use the UI styling to get the look. I am using the smoothness theme from the jQuery UI. As for Sitefinity, I am just using a base 4.4 install, however you can use any of the 4.x versions. If you have a Sitefinity navigation element on the page, you may want to make sure you set the jquery includes to the bottom of the page template. This is a known solution when adding jQuery files to a site that already has jQuery included via the Sitefinity navigation. (Telerik controls)

The plugin has more options for you to use, I am just using the basic elements. You can find the archive here.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Richard,

Thank you for sharing this with the community. This is very useful sample . I have updated your Telerik points!

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

Richard,

The information and video is very useful. "Telerik Support" should take a lesson from what you've done ;)

Thank you very much!

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Richard
I have tried to adapt your video to my site but I guess I'm missing something. I have recorded what I've done here (cannot upload since it's 8MB). Can you help?

(I have put js and css folders in root directory of my site as in your video. However, my site uses a custom template under App_Data\Sitefinity\... I'm not sure if can cause that problem?)

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Feb-2012 00:00

Murat,
    From the video, the only thing I can think of is the jquery.tabs.js file is not being instantiated. This could be a cause of the menu that you already have on a base page template. When you run the page, are you getting any javascript errors? If so, can you let me know what the error is? Maybe try using Google Chrome if IE is not giving you more precise error information.

I am not sure if your site is publicly accessible or not. If it is, can you share a link with me so I can see what might be the issue?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Richard
If it's not too much to ask, I can let you access everything on that host. Can you contact me thru skype? my account name is meraydin.

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Feb-2012 00:00

I just sent you an invite on Skype. richard.graydigitalgroup

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Feb-2012 00:00

In helping Murat out today, I realized that my jquery.tabs.js file is a newer file and the code snippet to instantiate the plugin is using the wrong plugin name. Here is the corrected code snippet to use to instantiate the control.

jQuery(document).ready(funciton()
    // setup ul.tabs to work as tabs for each div under the div.tabPanes element
    jQuery(".ui-tabs ul").tabs("div.tabPanes div.pane");
);

Also, one other issue that was occurring for Murat was the Sitefinity navigation. When a menu is added to a page, it will set the noConflict on jQuery since the menu uses the jquery framework. This will disable the use of jQuery and $ for the remainder of the page. I added this snippet to the site at the highest point I could under the menu.
if (typeof ($telerik.$) === "undefined")
    if (typeof (jQuery) !== "undefined")
        $telerik.$ = jQuery.noConflict(true);
    if (typeof ($) !== "undefined")
        $telerik.$ = $.noConflict(true);
var jQuery = window.jQuery = window.$ = $telerik.$;

Hope this helps anyone else that wants to use this on their site.

This thread is closed