Problem with Custom Module Creation

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 07:12

Problem with Custom Module Creation

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Apr-2011 00:00

Hi Sitefinity Team,

I am implementing the custom module for user registration with the help of Job-Intermediate module.

I got stuck in midway as I am not able to identify where to mention my user created SQL table e.g UserInfo.

Another thing I have followed exact Job Intermediate module and some how developed registration module but I am getting error when I click on submit button which is in following area.

public override RegApplication CreateRegApplication(Guid id)

var dateValue = DateTime.UtcNow;
            var item = new RegApplication()

Id = id,
                ApplicationName = this.ApplicationName,
                Owner = SecurityManager.GetCurrentUserId(),
                DateCreated = dateValue,
                PublicationDate = dateValue
            ;

((IDataItem)item).Provider = this;

if (id != Guid.Empty)

this.GetScope().Add(item);

return item;

In above code this.GetScope().Add(item) I am getting "OpenAccessException" Object reference not set to a instance of object although i can see Item instance created. I have spent too much time and not getting any solution.

Also please provide us some proper guide about how to work with user create tables because the provided tutorial doesn't contain any details related to connectivity of database  and tables which is something very basic information require for any custom module.

There is an appconfig file where I have mentioned my database related value but no luck. Even there is no proper documentation on how to use module's app.config file.

Hoping for quick reply. I am really stuck in my project development and I am feeling Sitefinity version 4 is wrong decision for my project.

Best Regards,

Janak Darji

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Janak,

You need to use this.GetContext() instead.

Cheers,
Duneel

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Apr-2011 00:00

First thing is I am not getting this.GetContext() option in my code.

Also important thing is I am following Job Module which is working properly and same thing I followed to create my module. I don't know why it is giving me problem in this section.

Haven't got any answer on below. Waiting for your reply.

"Also please provide us some proper guide about how to work with user create tables because the provided tutorial doesn't contain any details related to connectivity of database  and tables which is something very basic information require for any custom module".

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Apr-2011 00:00

Hello Janak,

Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what is causing this exception without seeing the whole implementation of the module. If you send us the project, we could have a look. The exact part of the code, that you have pasted, seems fine, in case you are using Sitefinity 4.0.
However, in case the version is 4.1, Duneel's suggestion is valid. Actually, in the Q1 release, we made a big change (improvement) of the way persistence classes are mapped in the database. You can find more information here:
http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/slavoingilizov/posts/11-04-07/changes_in_mapping_persistent_classes_in_custom_modules_with_sitefinity_4_1.aspx

The actual migration shouldn't take much time if you follow the steps. Also we will release the SDK with the updated sample till the end of this week.

Kind regards,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Apr-2011 00:00

I TOTALLY agree with the original poster and strangely enough I am having the same problem.

The documentation needs to improved greatly and I hope with the 4.1 release, the documentation and examples will be clearer, more accurate and actually up to date.  It is a waste of my time and also Telerik time in raising and answering support calls.

You need to consolidate and remove old posts/guides that are no longer relevant!  Tired of following a tutorial only to find I need to raise a support call because the tutorial is out of date or because 10 threads I found are't actually answered.

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

Hello Richard,

Yes, you are right.
We know about these problems and we are already working to address them.

Best wishes,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

This thread is closed