4.1 SDK "Run Sample" Error

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 16:50

4.1 SDK "Run Sample" Error

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 02-May-2011 00:00

I got error! message box on my Windows Server 2008 development machine when clicking "Run Sample".  It says "Value cannot be null. Parameter name: source".  It works fine on Windows XP.

Any hint on Windows Server 2008 settings?

Thanks,
JH

Posted by Community Admin on 03-May-2011 00:00

I have the same problem. Do not expect that something works. Sitefinity 4.x are unproductive and a waste of time. I do not think that Starter Kits works in SDK. Sitefinity will not tell anyone. Do not want to try other things because it probably also causes problems. It would be good if Sitefiniy could tell what they think works ...!

Peter

Hi,

Thank you Peter for the constructive feedback.  The SDK error you get is caused by your license file  which appears to be not the correct one. In order to solve the problem you need to delete the old .lic file from C:\SitefinitySamples\DatabaseData\*.lic and replace it with a proper license file for this version. Also you need to delete the cache of the browser application from here:  C:\Users\youraccountname\AppData\Local\Telerik\

Greetings,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team
Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Hi Victor
Many thanks for your kind reply. But not very constructive.
Unfortunately I can not guess how to use SDK.  Which license file should I use? I've tried with the license we have as a Partner, but no good, the same error. Can not see/read anywhere that SDK requires a license file. And can not understand why it should be necessary and why everything is so damn complicated to work with!
I have no directory called: "C:\Users\youraccountname\AppData\Local\Telerik\". I would love to use SDK, but Sitefinity makes it not easy for me!

Best regards
Peter

Posted by Community Admin on 06-May-2011 00:00

Hi JH,

The reason the SDK requires a license is that every sample that is part of the SDK is running in a different instance of Sitefinity which does require a license. Once you register your license in the SDK, it will automatically include the license file in all instances of Sitefinity that host samples. Otherwise, if you run the SDK without providing the license file, you will have to include it in every instance of Sitefinity which is going to be much more disturbing.

As Victor mentioned the main reason your license file is not running properly is if the name of the file contains special characters. Try the following procedure, if it doesn't work I will be glad to have a GoTo meeting with you in which I can resolve the issue directly on your computer.

1. Delete the extraction folder of your samples, by default it is C:\SitefinitySamples.
2. Detach all databases created from the samples in your SQL Server.
3. Delete the temp folder of the browser that is located in I "C:\Users\[place here your username]\AppData\Local\Telerik\". and "C:\Users\[place here your username]\AppData\Local\Telerik.Sitefinity.SDK\". Note that the AppData folder is hidden by default.
4. Rename your license file to Sitefinity.lic.
5. Run your SDK Samples Browser and run a sample.

If you have troubles resolving the problem with the suggested workflow, please get back to me so that we can schedule a GoTo meeting.

Thank you for your interest in the SDK, we have invested a lot of time in making it as easier as possible for the end-users but there are obviously some small bumps that we have to clear.

Regards,
Hristo Borisov
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Posted by Community Admin on 12-May-2011 00:00

Hello.
I'm evaluating Sitefinity standard edition now and SDK is one of key aspects of evaluation process. Is it possible to use SDK browser with trial license? I have mine downloaded and license name is "Sitefinity.lic" so I don't any additional characters in the license file name. I'm trying on windows 7 machine maybe it's the problem source but I don't want to downgrade to XP only to check Sitefinity SDK.

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

Hello JH,

Yes it is possible to run the SDK with a trial license.  We had a bug related to uploading the license file which we have been resolving. We will release the new Sitefinity SDK 4.1 SP1 later this week with all bug fixes we have accommodated as feedback from clients feedback.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need support with, so that we can make your evaluation process smoother. Thank you for contacting us.

Greetings,
Hristo Borisov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2011 00:00

Please help
I followed the directions given several times with no luck. I still can't get samples to run properly. 

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

Hello Jaime Weise,

My suggestion is to download our latest release of Sitefinity SDK 4.1 SP1, and try to run the samples. We have resolved a number of issues related to running our samples, and I hope that you will have much better perspective by download and installing our latest bits.

If you still have issues running the sample I can offer you a goto meeting session in which I can assist you with your evaluation process.

Thank you for contacting us and please let me know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Best wishes,
Hristo Borisov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed