ValidatorDefinition not firing for custom fields

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 10:05

ValidatorDefinition not firing for custom fields

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi,
I'm changing the Registration Form widget's template with this one:

01.%@ Control Language="C#" %>
02.<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Fields" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
03.<%@ Register TagPrefix="sf" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" %>
04.<%@ Register TagPrefix="sfvalidation" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.Validation.Definitions" Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity"%>
06.<fieldset class="sfregisterFormWrp">
07.    <asp:Panel ID="formContainer" runat="server" DefaultButton="registerButton">
08.        <ol class="sfregisterFieldsList">
09.            <%--First Name Field--%>
10.            <sf:TextField ID="firstName" runat="server" DataFieldName="FirstName" DataItemType="Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile" DisplayMode="Write" Title="<%$ Resources:Labels, FirstName %>" CssClass="sfregisterField sfregisterFirstName" WrapperTag="li">
11.                <ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError" Required="true"/>
12.            </sf:TextField>
13.            <%--Last Name Field--%>
14.            <sf:TextField ID="lastName" runat="server" DataFieldName="LastName" DataItemType="Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile" DisplayMode="Write" Title="<%$ Resources:Labels, LastName %>" CssClass="sfregisterField sfregisterLastName" WrapperTag="li">
15.                <ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError" Required="true"/>
16.            </sf:TextField>
17.            <%--Phone Number Field--%>
18.            <sf:TextField ID="phoneNumer" runat="server" DataFieldName="PhoneNumber" DataItemType="Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.CustomerProfile" DisplayMode="Write" Title="Phone number" CssClass="sfregisterField" WrapperTag="li">
19.                <ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError" Required="true"/>
20.            </sf:TextField>
21.            <%--Email Field--%>
22.            <sf:TextField ID="email" runat="server" DataFieldName="Email" DisplayMode="Write" Title="<%$ Resources:Labels, Email %>" CssClass="sfregisterField sfregisterEmail" WrapperTag="li">
23.                <ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError" Required="true" ExpectedFormat="EmailAddress"/>
24.            </sf:TextField>
25.            <%--Username Field--%>
26.            <sf:MirrorTextField ID="userName" runat="server" DataFieldName="UserName" MirroredControlId="email" WrapperTag="li" />
27.            <%--Password Field--%>
28.            <sf:TextField ID="password" runat="server" DisplayMode="Write" Title="<%$ Resources:Labels, Password %>" IsPasswordMode="true" CssClass="sfregisterField sfregisterPassword" WrapperTag="li">
29.                <ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError" Required="true"/>
30.            </sf:TextField>
31.            <%--Re-password Field--%>
32.            <sf:TextField ID="reTypePassword" runat="server" DisplayMode="Write" Title="<%$ Resources:UserProfilesResources, ReTypePassword %>" IsPasswordMode="true" CssClass="sfregisterField sfregisterConfirmPassword" WrapperTag="li">
33.                <ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError">
34.                    <ComparingValidatorDefinitions>
35.                        <sfvalidation:ComparingValidatorDefinition ControlToCompare="password"
36.                            Operator="Equal" ValidationViolationMessage="<%$ Resources:ErrorMessages, CreateUserWizardDefaultConfirmPasswordCompareErrorMessage %>"/>
37.                    </ComparingValidatorDefinitions>
38.                </ValidatorDefinition>
39.            </sf:TextField>
40.        </ol>
41.        <asp:Panel ID="errorsPanel" runat="server" CssClass="sfErrorSummary" Visible="false"/>
42.        <div class="sfregisterLnkWrp">
43.            <asp:Button runat="server" ID="registerButton" Text="<%$ Resources:UserProfilesResources, Register %>" CssClass="sfregisterSaveLnk"/>
44.        </div>
45.    </asp:Panel>
46.    <sf:SitefinityLabel id="successMessageLabel" runat="server" WrapperTagName="div" CssClass="sfSuccess" />
47.    <asp:Panel ID="configurationErrorsPanel" runat="server" CssClass="sfErrorSummary" Visible="false" >
48.        <div runat="server" id="smtpSettingsErrorWrapper" Visible="false">
49.            <asp:Label runat="server" id="smtpConfigurationErrorTitle" Text="<%$ Resources:ErrorMessages, CannotSendEmails %>"/>
50.            <asp:Label runat="server" id="smtpConfigurationError"></asp:Label>
51.        </div>
52.    </asp:Panel>
54.</fieldset>

1. The problem I'm facing is that the required validator is firing for the email and password fields as with the standard Registration Form, but not firing for the firstName, lastName and phoneNumber fields.
2. I'm also trying to clone the data from the email field to the username, so I can use the email address as a username. Is this the right way, using the MirrorTextField (no success) or this is not the function of the control? Is there another way to accomplish this in the template?

Posted by Community Admin on 21-May-2012 00:00

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem :

1) I am not able to valide the field Firstname and Lastname : 
Adding a <ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError" Required="true"/> in the template don't fire the field validation
2) I have also a custom field "adress" and a field "country" as ChoiceField wich don't fire the validation either

How can we manage the validation on theses fields ?

Also I am interested on how to manage the email as customer login 

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2012 00:00

The same here. I'm also trying to use custom fields in registration widget and the validation is not firing. Have you guys managed it working?

Thanks,
Robert

Nope :(

I'm asking myself what is this system about. One cannot accomplish simple tasks, it is full of bugs, I feel like beta tester. Forums are dead, and even if I open support ticket, they say me either it is by design or the cannot reproduce it. One response takes 48 hours which doesn't help me much. Actually I'm looking forward to finish my current project and never see this system again :/ 

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2012 00:00

I experience the same problem especially Robert's. Any luck with this? 

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2012 00:00

Support ticket sent this afternoon. For a simple question like that it shouldn't be, but we have no documentation on this and I should make it work for tomorow... so I don't have alternative ! For what you are stating Robert, it is a known issue... they are delivering to fast and have to much on the fire... to tell the truth I'm really waiting that the other clients full betatest Sitefinity 5 to even think of migrating my system :)

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2012 00:00

Finally a reply :)

"The Sitefinity's validation will not be fired for the custom fields in the template for the registration control. If you want to validate your custom fields, you should use the standard ASP.NET validation to all controls in the template (including email, username and password). Using mix of the two different types of validation controls will not be possible. "

Here is example to validate the email TextField control: 

<sf:TextField ID="Email" runat="server" DataFieldName="Email" DisplayMode="Write"Title="Email"  />

<asp:RequiredFieldValidator runat="server" ControlToValidate="Email" Text="The user name field is required." />

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2012 00:00

LOL...
I ended up with client side validation using jQuery

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Nov-2015 00:00

Here I am in November of 2015.

Here is this problem, still unsolved in google searches.

Difference?:

<ValidatorDefinition MessageCssClass="sfError" Required=" ExpectedFormat="Custom"/>

Perhaps this is new? What do I do now? How do I code the regex in my custom form?

No need to help, I expect no answer.

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Nov-2015 00:00

This is the reason I stepped out. This is an overpriced and overengineered piece of crap - unfortunately, because it has a lot of potential. Use Wordpress instead.

Posted by Community Admin on 28-Dec-2015 00:00

Hi,

I have just published a KB article describing in details how to validate custom fields in Registration form widget:  http://www.sitefinity.com/developer-network/knowledge-base/details/how-to-validate-custom-fields-in-registration-widget

You may refer to the below forum thread where the same has been discussed:
www.sitefinity.com/.../validation-failing-in-a-customized-registration-form-template

You can also check the following blog post where you can find another example regarding field validation:
http://www.sitefinity.com/blogs/kaloyan-savovs-blog/2013/12/03/registration-widget-with-integrated-captcha-spam-protection-in-sitefinity-cms

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed