Example of Project Feather

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 03:42

Example of Project Feather

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Oct-2015 00:00

Hey,

I'm trying to work my head around how Sitefinity sites are best structured when using Project Feather.

Is there a more complex example available than this?

github.com/.../feather-samples

My understanding from the documentation is that I should be developing widgets in it's own project separate from the site project? Is there an example available where this is done? How does referencing script files work? Do I then skeleton the markup in the widget project and then flesh it out in the resource package?

I'm also keen to know how to better manage javascript in general with sitefinity. Can I use something like requirejs? What limitations are there?

Cheers,

Hi,

You can download the Dev Magazine project which has all Sitefinity features available including the Feather functionality and capabilities. You can refer to our documentation to get further information for the project and all Feather widgets, components and packages.

Regards,
Stefani Tacheva
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

But this is just an example as to why I'm confused.

The Dev Magazine site has it layed out to have MVC controllers in the site project where the documentation suggests otherwise.

http://docs.sitefinity.com/feather-create-widgets

Is there well built up example of doing it as described in the documentation that can be used for reference?

Hey Luke,

I wrote up a long answer here on setting up Sitefinity for sustainabilty and follow common practices like creating your widgets project (outside of the main project) as well as making everything a nuget package.

www.sitefinity.com/.../creating-a-new-sustainable-setup-of-sitefinity-8-x

Hope that helps.

[quote]Bil said:

Hey Luke,

I wrote up a long answer here on setting up Sitefinity for sustainabilty and follow common practices like creating your widgets project (outside of the main project) as well as making everything a nuget package.

www.sitefinity.com/.../creating-a-new-sustainable-setup-of-sitefinity-8-x

Hope that helps.

[/quote]

thanks Bil. I've got a couple of follow up questions.

With widgets in a separate library, how do I get intellisense to work correctly for the views?

What is the ideal way to reference the javascript files in the widgets library?

Hi Luke,

1. Intellisense just works. The only thing I have in my views are my models so the @model directive is in the header and the model completion works. Not sure what intellisense you're looking for.

2. The only javascript files I have so far are just the widget designers to get the data shuffling between view and models. They're in a /Scripts/WidgetName folder.

Enjoy.

Posted by Community Admin on 29-Dec-2015 00:00

Luke,

Did you ever get this resolved?  I'm running into the same issue where none of the Razor directives are recognized by intellisense in the .cshtml.    Typically the MVC project would have a web.config in the Views folder but none of the examples have that.  

Bill,

I'm new to this as well and having the same issue Luke complained about.  I had already followed your instructions under "Adding a Widget Project" but still don't see any Razor intellisense in the separate module project.  

Any help is appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Dec-2015 00:00

Following the instructions  at the link below fixed my problem.  Within the SitefinityWebApp @ directives were recognized correctly.  It was just in the separate class library for my modules where the directives were not working.

thetoeb.de/.../

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Dec-2015 00:00

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this with the community.

Regards,
Velizar Bishurov
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed