Feather vs Thunder

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 08:02

Feather vs Thunder

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2016 00:00

Could you please clarify the relationship between Feather and Thunder? 

My understanding is Feather lets you develop for MVC & Thunder does the same thing but for ASP.NET. 

Feather is newer, mostly complete, but is missing a small amount of functionality (and all the E-Commerce stuff).  Thunder is much more mature & may be required to fill in the gaps causing you to develop a Hybrid model or Custom MVP if you need the widgets not yet in Feather.

Is this correct?

If I'm using MVC & don't need e-Commerce,  is Feature a complete replacement for Thunder. OR is Thunder used for other things other than just ASP.NET dev? 

Thanks. The overview / positioning in the Sitefinity docs are very unclear on this. 

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Jan-2016 00:00

Hi David,

Thunder is a Visual Studio extension, meant to increase developer productivity with Sitefinity with built-in code templates, code sync and deploy tools. It does not give you any additional capabilities to Sitefinity, just an easier and faster way to work with it.

Feather, on the other hand, is a framework for MVC development. It introduces extra capabilities to the Sitefinity development platform, like frontend packages, MVC widgets and a bunch of other good stuff.

In other words, it is not a choice of one vs the other. It is rather whether to use Feather and develop your site with MVC or stick to the traditional Web Forms. If you prefer MVC and don't need e-Commerce, Feather is the way to go.  Even if you find anything missing there, you can easily mix them in hybrid mode.

I hope the above helps, please let me know if you have further questions.

This thread is closed