Creating a layout file - Error when viewing under project

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Aug-2018 21:29

Creating a layout file - Error when viewing under project

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 20-May-2016 00:00

I am trying to create a layout file as outlined as in this document docs.sitefinity.com/feather-create-layout-files

After following steps 1-6  have the new template appear in the templates list for the project

But when I click on the template page  I get the following error ... is there something else to be done ?

(I have Feather enabled for the project)

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. 
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   ASP._MVC_Views_Layouts_MyNewTemplate_cshtml.Execute() in D:\Sitefinity\Promo40\obj\CodeGen\MVC\MVC\Views\Layouts\MyNewTemplate.cshtml:7
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() +252
   System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +142
   System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +106
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.Mvc.Infrastructure.Layouts.LayoutRenderer.RenderViewToString(ControllerContext context, String viewPath, Boolean placeholdersOnly) +486
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.Mvc.Infrastructure.Layouts.LayoutRenderer.GetLayoutTemplate(String templateName, Boolean placeholdersOnly) +59
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.Mvc.Infrastructure.Layouts.LayoutVirtualFileResolver.Open(PathDefinition definition, String virtualPath) +160
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.Mvc.Infrastructure.Layouts.MvcMasterPage.LayoutOutput(String path) +219
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.Mvc.Infrastructure.Layouts.MvcMasterPage.ApplyToPage(Page page) +214
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Frontend.Mvc.Infrastructure.PageInitializer.PreInitHandler(Object sender, EventArgs e) +180
   System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
   System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +120
   System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +31
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1147

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2016 00:00

Hi,
It is not entirely clear to me when exactly you are getting this error, when opening in Visual Studio or selecting it whilst creating a new page in the Sitefinity backend ? 

cfr. my sample: http://screencast.com/t/Va71d0D4Q

I did notice that you have a folder "MVC" under "MVC".
Could you maybe upload a screenshot of where you are getting this error ? 

Regards,
Dimitri Cools
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2016 00:00

my bad ....  once the layout was created in the MVC project and re-building the project - I was going to  the newly added layout via Design/Page templates - where it was listed but I  would get a run-time error when I clicked the "feather layout template"  (possibly because it was a template in the VS project)  

However if I create a page and then select the new template it works

This thread is closed