Content Change Logging/Audit Trail

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:27

Content Change Logging/Audit Trail

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-May-2011 00:00

We know from reading the documentation that Sitefinity will log errors but what about "normal" activities? The CMS is out on a public facing server and like any other website is open to attack attempts. If someone should compromise the administrator login or any login with the ability to alter content through normal CMS channels they could inject malicious Javascript or HTML. However if we are logging all such content changes to a log file, the windows event logs, or some other kind of log we can configure our monitoring software to pick up on changes and compare them to a list of authorized changes (through an internal change request system) and then alert if a change is made to the content of the website outside of authorized means. So does Sitefinity offer the ability to record normal content changes to some kind of log? If it doesn't natively, can someone direct us to functions that exist in the API that we could use for such a purpose?
      Alternate solution, what about adding our own triggers to the SQL tables that govern content? We could write such changes to a custom table and then produce a "log" from that. What we are really looking for is an audit trail/log for changes to the content within the CMS.

We are open to input and suggestions.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2011 00:00

Hi Christopher,

Thank you for your question.

We do not yet log extra activity for audit trailing. This can be implemented though in numerous ways. I'd suggest you the following though:

Every content item can be created/removed/updated/deleted via it's content manager class. Every content manager class has Executing and Executed events. You can subscribe for these events on application start for example (in global.asax file) and store all information they provide in separate tables. When there is an operation on a content item, both methods provide command argument showing the content item ID and the operation that has been performed on it.

Adding SQL triggers would be complex I think due to the number of relations that we maintain.

Let me know if you need any additional information, or if you hit a roadblock.

Greetings,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Jun-2011 00:00

Could you please put an example for the code , i want to make Audit trial module , so please help me with the functions i should override 

Thanks
Freddy Khalaf

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Freddy,

Please check the following forum thread - http://www.sitefinity.com/devnet/forums/sitefinity-3-x/general-discussions/email-notifications-upon-changes.aspx

The approach is absolutely the same, although this example is for the 3.x version.

There is one more approach - custom workflows. Our content workflows can be customized - you can have certain actions defined for each step. These actions can log information wherever you'd like on steps defined by you.

Kind regards,
Georgi
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed