Accessing Custom Data

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 00:06

Accessing Custom Data

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

I have an SF project and I want to add some custom data, to be stored in the DB.

I have the luxury, for this project, of time to do it in a way consistent with how SF works. The thing is, I don't know where to start.

Is there a good online reference for this?

FWIW, I want to be able to access data and generate some graphs.

-- 
Stuart

Hi Stuart ,

Have you considered using Open Access?

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Sorry, it was late when I sent that. I should have been more specific.

I know you guys use Open Access for all the data access in SF. So I assume that a lot of infrastructure is in place. What I meant was is there some place where I can go to discover how to tie in to that.

-- 
Stuart

Hello Stuart ,

What type of custom data you want to add? We have dynamic fields that allow you to persist custom data. Another option is using custom module similar to our Products Sample Catalog shipped with the SDK that shows how to create a data model based on the Content object.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Ivan

I'll have a look at the sample in the SDK as were talking about statistics derived from manually entered data.

-- 
Stuart

I would love to see a webinar or screencast on custom module development with Sitefinity 4.x. Since the documentation is so new, it's somewhat difficult to understand everything that needs to be done in order to get these working properly. We are in the same boat as Stuart - we have a spreadsheet of store locations and we're trying to figure out the best way to import those into a SF database and use the built-in functionality of Open Access. My developers are left scratching their heads though because the documentation is lacking.

Greg

That'd get my vote, for sure.

-- 
Stuart

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jun-2011 00:00

The project is not very helpful.

Are there any learning resources at all for any of this?

-- 
Stuart

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Stuart Hemming,

We are currently working on covering the Products Catalog sample with documentation. You can take a look at the existing one for the Jobs sample module.

Kind regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Radoslav,

Thanks for the update. I've have a browse through that later this evening.

-- 
Stuart

I should point out an error on the Preparing... page. It claims that you can't edit the .csproj file in Visual Studio; you can.

You simply need to right-click on the project, select "Unload Project", then right-click it again and select "Edit". Once your changes have been made and saved, you can reload the project by right-clicking again on the project in solution explorer and selected "Reload Project".

-- 
Stuart

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Stuart Hemming,

Thanks for the note. We will fix this to show both ways of editing the project file. We've already built the guide for the SP2 release, but this so this is going to make it for 4.2.

Best wishes,
Slavo
the Telerik team

This thread is closed