How to?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:31

How to?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 25-May-2011 00:00

Hello support,

I'm having a question on how to built the following options inside a new SF 4.1 website:

- Register new company's with much metadata
- Login functionality for company's
- Attach tags and hierarchical categories to a company
- Search based on taxonomies
- Multilingual

Should I built a custom module for this based on a custom database?
Or should I create a Generic Content Module?

Don't know where to start and what is the best option for this?

Hope you can give me some advice...

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 27-May-2011 00:00

No one?

Hi Daniel,

- Register new company's with much metadata. Please clarify what do you want to do? This description doesn`t show much Sitefinity related information.

- Login functionality can be achieved using the provided login widget. Login functionality depends a lot on what you are trying to do. Do you need some specific login for users in the backend or the frontend.

- Tags and categories are used for managing a lot of content and are available for the built in modules. Please refer to the specific documentation or explain what are you trying to achieve.

- Search based on taxonomies: You need to implement desired taxonomy. You can start here and create a custom search control that will search trough content based on your requirements. Please refer to this forum topic.

- Multilingual can be easily included in Sitefinity. In Administration --> Settings you go to to languages and add languages for public content and if you need backend translations to the backend content. You can get detailed description on managing languages and installing backend language.

You will not need to build custom database because Sitefinity will take care of it. Creating custom modules depends on your project requirements and if they require something that is not currently implemented in Sitefinity.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for the reply.
I'll try to explain it in more detail:

Requirements
The website I want to built should provide in the following:

1. Companies can register on the website. I want to store information like: name, address, phone numbers etc.
2. After registering, it should be possible to label the companies with categories and tags (from the backend)
3. Companies can be found on the website, by searching the taxonomies
4. Companies can login to update their profile information

Questions
1. What approach should I use?
- Use GenericContent modules like the ProductsModule / JobsModule for storing Companies?
- Use my own database and use Intra-site modules?

Hope it is more clear now.

Regards,

Daniel

Never mind.
Since I still encounter so much troubles to get modules installed and uninstalled and not knowing how to solve some things in SF 4.1, I decided to built the project in SF 3.7 (or another CMS). It's just that it takes too much time.

Regards,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Sorry to hear for your troubles. Please feel free to post another thread if you need assistance.

Greetings,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Well, it still would be nice to hear how you would built a website that is based on my requirements inside SF 4.1?

Regards,

Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 28-May-2011 00:00

Hi Daniel,

1. You can use the products module to do that and you will need to make some changes to suit your needs. To accomplish the registration from the front end you will need a widget to create the fields in the products module`s backend as the products module crates a widget to display the information contained. ( for additional fields create custom fields )
2. Products module have categories and tags implemented.
3. You will need to create custom search widget that will search based on your criteria.
4. The same widget that contacts the products module need to allow editing of the products module entries.

You can create intra-site module if you think it will be an easier task for your development.

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 30-May-2011 00:00

Hi Stanislav,

Thanks for the reply. Can you elaborate a bit more on how to link the custom module to a front-end user? Is it possible to create e.g. a custom MembershipProvider and bind it to the new custom module?
Or is there another way to do this?

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 31-May-2011 00:00

Hi Daniel ,

You can create create custom membership provider for your custom module.

I will stick to the example I gave you in my previous post about creating a widget that will be used to write entries in the products module. As said before the registered user will use a custom created widget to enter data in the products module and later edit it. ( the widget may be with several text fields to be filled with information and the input will be added to the products module using the API). To implement the membership you will have to get the userID the user already registered and use it to allow him to access the table storing his information( SecurityManager.Getmanager() )

I am not sure if this code will help you. Here a an example of our membership provider.

public MembershipProviderWrapper(MembershipProvider membershipProvider)
    if (membershipProvider == null)
        throw new ArgumentNullException("membershipProvider");
        this.membershipProvider = membershipProvider;

this.userList = new Dictionary<Guid, UserWrapper>();

this.Initialize(this.Name, new NameValueCollection(), typeof(UserManager), true);
protected internal override object CreateNewTransaction(string transactionName)
    return new object();

Greetings,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed