LDAP security and user roles

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 08:52

LDAP security and user roles

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jun-2011 00:00

I am new to LDAP security, while working on sitefinity 3.6 we have integrated the below code in web.config file

<roleManager enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="true" defaultProvider="Sitefinity">

<

providers

<

clear/> 
<add connectionStringName="DefaultConnection" applicationName="/" name="Sitefinity" type="Telerik.DataAccess.AspnetProviders.TelerikRoleProvider, Telerik.DataAccess"/>
</providers
</
roleManager 

now when i am migrating to sitefinity 4.1 and if i am making the RoleManage enabled="true" then i am not able to work with admin section as it is showing me the error message as
"The configured Role Provider (WindowsTokenRoleProvider) relies upon Windows authentication to determine the groups that the user is allowed to be a member of. ASP.NET Role Manager cannot be used to manage Windows users and groups. Please use the SQLRoleProvider if you would like to support custom user/role assignment."

and if i am using the same code as in sitefinity 3.6 in the web.config file for sitefinity 4.1  then it is showing me an error message as
"Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.DataAccess' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

should i load the same old telerik.Dataaccess dll in the sitefinity4.1 or there is any other way to work with LDAP security issues.

Hello Shekar,

You should register your LDAP through configurations (SecurityConfig.config). There is UI that you can use directly from Administration >> Settings >> Advanced >> Security

In the web.config you can use only ASP.NET SqlMembership/Role providers

www.sitefinity.com/.../using_the_asp_net_sql_membership_provider_in_sitefinity.aspx

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Thanks for your quick response.

Can you please let me know the for what purpose this LADP is used.
is there any documentation how the LDAP functionality is working.

nice to see quick responses.

Thanks

Hello Shekar,

Take a look at this article.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

hi,
I can see only the configuration in the given article link, there is no functional details, how exactly it works. when an external user logs in from a login page from front end.
As I am new to LDAP can you please provide be further technical guidence as how it works.

Thanks in advance.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2011 00:00

Hi Shekar,

Sitefinity is only acceptor of the LDAP settings and your provider. This works as a standard LDAP membership provider. Here is the general info that MSDN offers about LDAP functionality.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for your support,

can you please let me know how can i check the LDAP settings set in Administrator - settings - security are working properly or not.

Thanks again.

Hi Shekar,

If you see new provider LDAP  provider under Administration >> Users and the grid is populated with users, you have successfully connected to the LDAP. Generally the configurations are XML files similar to the web.config that we use for string data. Administration area is just the UI.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed