Creating a simple menu

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 10:15

Creating a simple menu

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Morning,

I searched the forum for a simple step by step guide of how to create a custom control for a menu but couldnt find anything so apologies if this is a regular post.

All I need is to create a UL > LI type menu bound to the SF menu, I'm sure this is very simple with a repeater but Im unable to find a starting point or tutorial.

Thanks in advance

Iain

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Jun-2011 00:00

Hello Iain,

You can create a template for NavigationControl where in your template declare BaseDataBoundControl like Repater. Then you only have to set the template to the control and it will be automatically bound.

Regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Sep-2011 00:00

Ivan,

While that solution works, we have a huge site with many different uses of the navigation widget. How would one make a custom widget where those settings are pre-added? (i.e. not requiring each user to enter in advanced settings)

there is a free marketplace solution that might be worth looking into: CleanNav Control

However, I needed something similar to this a while back, and ended up using a simple stringbuilder to build out the menu tree using pages pulled from the Fluent API.

Here's the snippet I used. I just wrote the final string to a literal control on the front end.

Not the most elegant solution, and you'll probably have to modify this to better suit your needs, as it only does the root menu and the first child menus (that's all I needed on my menu).

Additionally you'll likely need to create or install separate javascripts or jQuery plugins to handle the show/hide menus.

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    // initialize string builder
    var sb = new StringBuilder();
    sb.Append("<ul>");
    // intialize fluent API
    using (var app = App.WorkWith())

// get pages
        var pages = app.Pages().LocatedIn(Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.Pages.PageLocation.Frontend).ThatArePublished().Where(p => p.Parent.Title == "Pages" && p.ShowInNavigation == true).OrderBy(p => p.Ordinal).Get();
        var last = pages.Last().Title;
        // loop through pages
        foreach (var page in pages)

// skip home page
            if (page.Title == "Home") continue;
            // is this the current section?
            var selectedCss = Request.RawUrl.ToLower().StartsWith(string.Concat("/", page.UrlName)) ? "active " : "";
            // is this the last section?
            if (page.Title == last) selectedCss = string.Concat(selectedCss, "end");
            // append top-level link
            sb.AppendFormat("<li class=\"rootlink\"><a class=\"navlink 2\" href=\"0\">1</a>", ResolveUrl(page.GetFullUrl()), page.Title, selectedCss);
            // create submenu
            sb.Append("<div class=\"submenu\">");
            sb.Append("<ul>");
            // retrieve subpages
            var subpages = app.Pages().LocatedIn(Telerik.Sitefinity.Fluent.Pages.PageLocation.Frontend).ThatArePublished().Where(p => p.Parent != null).Where(p => p.Parent.Title == page.Title && p.ShowInNavigation == true).OrderBy(p => p.Ordinal).Get();
            // loop through subpages        
            if (subpages.Count() > 0)

foreach (var subpage in subpages)

// append link
                    sb.AppendFormat("<li><a href=\"0\">1</a></li>",ResolveUrl(subpage.GetFullUrl()), subpage.Title);

// close menu
            sb.Append("</ul>");

// close submenu
            sb.Append("</div></li>");

// close main menu
        sb.Append("</ul>");

// render html
    NavHtml.Text = sb.ToString();

Hope this was helpful!

This thread is closed