.masterpage and include scripmanager page option

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 01:52

.masterpage and include scripmanager page option

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Jul-2011 00:00

I have a .master as my root, and the other child templates are created in SF4 with the page editor

The Masterpage does not have a scriptmanager because I was told if it doesn't exist, it gets added (correct?).  In the ticket I believe I was told to leave it off because it borks searching.

So I tried creating a usercontrol with an UpdatePanel in it and put it on a page.  When I load the page it honks at me that I need a script manager.  I checked in the properties of the page and there is a checkbox on include script manager...?

Is this not the way to do it?

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jul-2011 00:00

Steve,

I'm running into the same problem. My assumption is that the ScriptManger is not added until after my user control is added to the page, but I'm not sure.

I'm hell bent on finding a solution to using updatepanels within my user controls as they will make my customers happy. I'll let you know if I get anywhere. I'm going to go down the road of adding the scriptmanager to my master pages and using a third party search like Google CSE to do my indexing.

Joel

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2011 00:00

Steve,

Just an FYI, I wound up having to include the RadScriptManager on my .master page in order to make this happen for me.

Joel

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2011 00:00

I think I'm about in that boat as well :)

Are you able to run a search index on your site w\out errors popping up?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jul-2011 00:00

Hi Joel,

RadScriptManager is automatically included in each page that contains at least one IScriptManager control or a control market with the RequiresScriptManager attribute. If a ScriptManager is registered in a master page it is used instead. Also you can set it for each page from the advanced page settings - include RadScriptManager setting

Greetings,
Pavel
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Steve,

I have faced this issue before. If you use the RadScriptManager then the Reindex of the search Index doesn't work properly. I ended up using the ASP.NET standard ScriptManager and it worked.

Hope this helps.

G

Steve,

I took a round-about way to take care of indexing my site.

I'm using Google CSE to handle most of my searching. I actually had a business reason to leave Sitefinity's indexing: my application uses user controls that inherit from a base class that must be instanciated and hit the PreLoad handler before they can retrieve data from my internal CRM system. Through no fault of Telerik's, my content could not be indexed by the custom site search because the pages aren't fully rendered when the content was added to Sitefinity's index.

I accomplished this by:
1. Create a ashx to emit an XML Sitemap. (My site uses Query Parameters that are generated from ID's in my internal CRM system, so if I have ...Class?ID=1234, I wanted Google/yahoo/bing to know about it.)
2. Register my site with Google Webmaster Tools
3. Create User Control that emits markup to call to my Custom Search Engine

Also, I tried to "Add Scriptmanager to Page" and, for whatever reason, I couldn't use RadAjaxPanels- but, adding it to the master page manually seemed to work.

Joel

I MIGHT be wrong on this, no idea why it's in my head

But I THINK that the Add scriptmanager checkbox only works if you don't have a physical masterpage

@George: Thanks much, I shall give that a try :)  Should be a bug if that's the case, the RadScriptManager is far superior IMO, and with the Q2 release it has the ability to exclude scripts from the combining making it even more powerful.

This thread is closed