Sitefinity and mobile web site development

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 15:00

Sitefinity and mobile web site development

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello All,

We are using Sitefinity 3.7 SP3 version for our projects. We would like to implement mobile device detection for our web sites. Do we have any resources on implementing WURFL or 51 Degrees Mobi Foundation for Sitefinity sites? After detecting a device to be mobile device we are planning to switch the themes for our Master pages on the OnPreInit event. Could you please provide us any suggestions or if you could please point us to the available resources that would be great. I have already looked at the documentation for WURFL and 51 Degree Mobi Foundation, but I am looking something specific to Sitefinity.

Thank you,

Hi San,

You can create a custom class that inherits from IternalPage and override GetTheme method. There you can set the theme at runtime. Please check this post

www.sitefinity.com/.../sitefinity-amp-accessibility.aspx

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hello Ivan,

Thank you for your prompt response. I am looking for implementing mobile device detection for our Sitefinity sites. Do you have any resources available for implementing WURFL or any other mobile device detection libraries? Or do you guys recommend any specific one for detection?

Regards,
San.

Hello San,

I have not researched about how the request could be detected, but I am sure that this is something common and if you google for this you will find a solution.

All the best,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2011 00:00

Were you able to figure out how to use the detection from 51 Degrees?  I have it configured and the detection seems to work on my mobile devices, but it breaks functionality for the Sitefinity back-end.

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Stacey,

We did not use 51 degree at the end as we did not want to mess up anything with the dll's and we were worried that it would break the back end. So, instead we used a combination of user agent sniffing and also another method for mobile detection. 

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Nov-2011 00:00

San,
Could I get more information on how you implemented mobile detection?

Kevin

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Kevin,

We are just using user agent sniffing and redirecting a user to a mobile site. The other mobile detection libraries out there did not fit our needs so we just use user agent sniffing and switch themes. But, I believe you can use 51 degree as mentioned by Stacey below, I never got a chance to get to it.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Apr-2013 00:00

Hi San,

Thnak you for sharing your approach with the community, we really appreciate it.

I Just wnated to rpovide everyone with a quick follow up, that Sitefinity already offers an out of the box mobile solution for you - we have first introduced it with our Sitefinity 5.0 release.

You can find more information available on our Responsive Design, Mobile Apps or Mobile Websites: You Pick the Strategy, We Deliver the Platform page form the Sitefinity website.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

This thread is closed