Can't open site after upgrade

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 03:04

Can't open site after upgrade

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jul-2011 00:00

I got Sitefinity for Southern Maryland Give Camp.  It was in version 4.0.  I used the Charity Starter Kit site. Before the give Camp itself I pulled an all-nighter to build the basic web site.  After the Give Camp, I got an extension on my license and upgraded it to 4.1 sp1.  However after moving starter kit site to new Proiect manager Projects folder and trying to browse it from Visual Studio 2010 it tries and fails to open as 4.0.  It asks me to link to a license file but when I link to the new license file it tells me it is the wrong version.  I create a new project using project manager and point at the project file for the Charity Starter kit and browse using the project manager but when the web site opens it has no pages.  How can I get back the site on which I spent so much time and effort. 

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jul-2011 00:00

Hello Edward,

Is the other content intact except the pages?
If the content is missing too this might be the other project. Open the SitefintyWebApp solution for your site and right click on the SitefintyWebApp project and choose view in browser to check if this is the right project. If you still miss the pages can you check the database for your project( you can find the database name in App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuraion/DataConfig.config) and in table sf_page_data there is a column html_title_ look there for the names of your pages( there is different content there like $Resources... ignore that and look for the page titles you have entered). If the names are missing somehow the pages have been deleted which is probably not the case. IF the names are there there should be some blocker. It will require  to review the project at my end so open a support ticket and send me the backup of your database and the project files. If they are too big to attach to the ticket please upload them to and FTP server and provide me with the credentials.

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Jul-2011 00:00

As stated above "However after moving starter kit site to new Proiect manager Projects folder and trying to browse it from Visual Studio 2010 it tries and fails to open as 4.0.  It asks me to link to a license file but when I link to the new license file it tells me it is the wrong version. "

When browsing from the project manager first a page opens it says "Thank you for visiting our web site.  Please return soon for updates."  Then when logging in as admin It shows no pages, no news no othing.  When you click on the "edit in Visual Studio" button what opens something called "SitefinityWebApp" which  is just the bare bones template of a SiteFinity site with no database, no customize pages, none of the associated assemblies, and none of the items loaded as part of the CharityStarterKit instead of my MWStarterkitproj solution. 

Yet the location specified in Project Manager for the project manager is the same project with everything loaded, but that sneeringly tells me it can't open because I have the wrong license file.

I have been trying to do this now for 2 1/2 months and still can't finish the last little bit of the site because I can't get it to open.  And I don't even know if this 4.1 sp1 version has resolved the App Pool recyle issue on shared host because I can't load it to the host.  I am really beginning to hate Sitefinity as much as Sharepoint.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2011 00:00

The files are to big.  How do you ftp?  I have never done it and don't know how.

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jul-2011 00:00

Hi Edward,

I replied you in the support ticket and I am sending this in this topic too if it will help someone else.
For an ftp usage I can direct you to this videos that describe how to download filezilla and upload to a server.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-gr0LIWT64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_5wQG6O7U
Another option is to use megaupload and use it file manager to upload the files for your convenience. You may password protect the archive.

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed