OpenAccess Error with Multiple Custom Modules

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:46

OpenAccess Error with Multiple Custom Modules

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello,

We have 3 custom modules using OpenAccess that are *not* based on Content. We have fairly simple model classes, with provider classes that are based on the OpenAccessContext class. This was taken partially from Josh Morales' forum post on Intra-site modules.

Not sure if it's a factor here, but we deviated from Josh's example by placing the guts of the module code (provider, model, manager) in a separate assembly, but used Josh's method of adding admin pages and registering the module as part of the web application code.

This all works fine for each module individually. We can access the admin page(s), add/edit items, etc. However, if we try to access the administrative page of either of the other two modules, we get the following error:

Type is enhanced and registered, but not available from the database class meta data. This can be caused by a wrong connection id or configuration.
Parameter name: src
Actual value was <our module assembly name here>

Restarting the application, we are able to access the module that cause the error - only to receive the same error when we try to access one of the other modules.

Some investigation turned up references to this in the OpenAccess forums from several months ago indicating that database connection sharing may be the problem. All of our modules are using the connection string found in the DataConfig.config file for their connections.

Is this an issue with OpenAccess? Could it be that we are not releasing some of our resources properly - maybe missing some important "Dispose" in our provider or manager? Obviously, the in-built Sitefinity modules all operate together without issue, so it seems to be an implementation issue on our end, but we have no idea where to start trouble-shooting.

We are at a critical moment in a project (of course! ;)), so any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't recall having this issue in 3.x, but understand things are vastly different now.

Regards,
John

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi John,

The scenario you describe seems fine. However, I am concerning about the providers ModuleName, which should be unique for each provider. If you are overriding this property in the OpenAccess data provider, make sure that is different for each provider. This property (IOpenAccessMetadataProvider.ModuleName) is used to identify the provider, and if you have more than one provider with the same module name, only the first one will register its mappings.
If this is not the case, can you please send us the implementation of your custom modules so we could investigate it locally?

Kind regards,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Aug-2011 00:00

Was there a resolution to this?  I'm having the same exact problem.  I can switch between the two modules, but only one will work at a time.

I actually did not have this problem when developing against the local DB.  I am however, experiencing on the dev server.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Amir,

What is the difference between the dev server and local databases? Are the projects running different versions of Sitefinity?

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Aug-2011 00:00

Local version is SQLEXPRESS in Win 7. Dev server is Win/SQL 2008.   Local version was a fresh 4.2 install, where as the server has been updated through each release since 4.0.

they're both running 4.2.  FYI, I have also opened up a ticket: 454703.  Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Aug-2011 00:00

Apologies for the late response:

This approach did not work for us (implementing IOpenAccessMetadataProvider with unique module names). I think our "provider" is missing something else, or Sitefinity only cares about that interface for Content-based modules - which ours is NOT.

We have temporarily fixed this by adding separate connection strings to DataConfig.config for each module. Each of these connection strings has a unique "data source=" value, which are aliases that point to the same db as the main "Sitefinity" connection string. This is sloppy (in my opinion), but it works: SF must be caching based (at least in part) on the "data source=" value.

Hope this helps someone else trying to build non-Content-based custom modules. If anyone has a cleaner, more "official" method, we'd love to hear it!

Regards,
John

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Aug-2011 00:00

Hi John,

We are currently investigating the issue and will follow up when we have more result.

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2012 00:00

@John, found your post as we are having the same issue, when setting up the aliases was your database a SQL Server specific database or an attached one?

@Sitefinity - has this been resolved in an official capacity, seems odd that you cant share a connection string (i appreciate there are other things going on here), we are currently on 4.2.1733 but will be upgrading before release, which is 10 days away.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Roberto,

We are using SQL Server 2008 R2 databases. Actually, we have everything pointing to the same db, just using separate connection strings - each with different SQL Server Alias instead of the actual server name.

In case it helps, we basically created OpenAccess-based data layers in separate libraries, that are being called from within the main Web App. We found that, if we tied each of the external libraries to the same connection string, we could only use one of them at a time. Some kind of sharing is happening, and we haven't had time to dig into the root cause, or solution.

Regards,
John G.

Hi John,

Thanks for the response, i will dig out the database as it is an embedded one and add it plain old SQL and setup the aliases, that will atleast get this moving, its a weird one, we have two modules, and we found out today that this is happening, by complete fluke.  Funny thing is the resources must still be active for a while becuase one of the modules disposes of the context when it exits the page so were not even using the connection when the other one went pop.

Knew i should have stuck to Linq :)

Rob

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Any news on this?

We're having the same problem with 2 custom modules we created. Both module work fine when installed individually, but one will not work when both are installed. ModuleName is not the issue.Adding a new connection string does seem to solve the problem...

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Although using an alias for the connection string does work on our development computer, I don't think we will be able to do this with the hosting...

Posted by Community Admin on 23-May-2013 00:00

Hello,

have the same issues here. Is there already a solution? Other than the different connection strings (alias) work-around?

Kind regards,

bob

Posted by Community Admin on 24-May-2013 00:00

Hi Bob,

We havn't found one, well apart from not using OpenAccess and using something like LINQ.

Sorry that's not much help.

Rob

This thread is closed