Configuring authentication for public users

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:09

Configuring authentication for public users

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Aug-2011 00:00

I have been looking for a way to configure authentication for my public users to my Sitefinity Page within the Sitefinity Administrative User Interface, but have not found a way to accomplish this.

I have added a Login control to my Sitefinity Page and the Login View and Login Status controls to my other secured pages.  I have also denied anonymous access to these pages.

Is there an easy way within Sitefinity to configure the Sitefinity Page as my default redirect Login form whenever a user directly attempts to access one of these secured pages? 

Also, I have created a "Public" User Role with no permissions within Sitefinity and added my users to this role.  Is this the correct way to configure roles for publicly authenticated users?

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Samir Vaidya,

In order to redirect anonymous users to the login page, everytime they try to access a forbidden page, you will have to customize the "403 HTTP error" that is received by the user. This can be done by going to the web.config file of your application and adding the following code under the <customErrors> tag (your_login_page_url is the url of the desired redirect page):

<customErrors mode="On">
                <error statusCode="403" redirect="your_login_page_url" />
 </customErrors>

Creating the "Public" role for publicly authenticated users is a good decision, although there is a built-in "authenticated" role that is applied to every user by default. So - if you don't want them to have any permissions besides viewing the page, you should simply not set any role to them (they would be just "authenticated" by default.
Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Svetoslav Petsov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed