Problem with custom Forms authentication for private section

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:58

Problem with custom Forms authentication for private sectionof site

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Aug-2011 00:00

I'm new to sitefinity, and I've got a test system set up to run the public/marketing sections of the site.

However I want to setup a private "Members" section that is under custom forms authentication. The Members section, and users are not part of sitefinity.

I've got the user database, and login set up. However when I call 
FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(username, false);

It doesn't seem like this is working, the username is not available via HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name, and  HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.IsAuthenticated is always false. I'm copying this authentication code over from another project, so I know it works.

I'm sure this is something simple I'm overlooking, but I didn't know if Sitefinity overruled any other custom Forms authentication from the web.config file.

Here is what I have in my web.config

<location path="Members">
  <system.web>
    <authorization>
      <!-- <allow users="*"/>-->
      <deny users="?" />
    </authorization>

</system.web>
</location>

<system.web>....
  <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name="Members" loginUrl="login.aspx" protection="All"  path="/" slidingExpiration="true" />
  </authentication>

<authorization>
    <allow users="*" />
  </authorization>

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Aug-2011 00:00

Hello Ed,

Please take a look at this post which explains how Sitefinity authentication works

If the user is not authenticated, then you don't have a current principal and the username will be always null.

Is standard ASP.NET scenario this could be done with the code below

protected void Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
    if (!IsPostBack)

this.Login1.LoggedIn += new EventHandler(Login1_LoggedIn);
    this.Login1.Authenticate += new AuthenticateEventHandler(Login1_Authenticate);

void Login1_Authenticate(object sender, AuthenticateEventArgs e)
    e.Authenticated = Membership.ValidateUser(this.Login1.UserName, this.Login1.Password);

void Login1_LoggedIn(object sender, EventArgs e)
    HttpCookie cookie = this.Response.Cookies[FormsAuthentication.FormsCookieName];
    FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie("username", false);

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed