News Article Permalinks

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 19:04

News Article Permalinks

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Aug-2011 00:00

Hey guys,

I've got a httphandler that emits a sitemap.

Right now, I'm relying on tags on the articles to tell that:
~/membership/news/2010/03/05/Web-Site-Terms-of-Service
Is a valid page for a news article.

It's a valid page because /membership/news has news list control sitting on it.

I'm trying to determine if there is any way that I can create a permalink to my article: 2010/03/05/Web-Site-Terms-of-Service that would emit the news item no matter if the page had a news list or not.

My secondary issue is that facebook's comments take a "href" to determien if the article has comments. If there is no sitewide permalink then:

~/membership/news/2010/03/05/Web-Site-Terms-of-Service
and
~/donors/news/2010/03/05/Web-Site-Terms-of-Service

are the same content, but with two different href's the facebook comments are lost for one of them and it looks like I'm moderating my user's comments if they go to a different news list.

Thanks!
Joel

the Content View controls for content such as news, blogs, etc, are designed to exist on any page, so they don't exist by default at any one specific url.

I handled this issue in the past when developing a sitemap by creating app keys in the web.config file (you could store these anywhere however) that permanently linked modules to their content pages.

something like

<add key="News" value="/news" />
<add key="Blogs" value="/blogs" />

and in my sitemap handler, appended these keys to the urls in the article. This way, I can still add the content view items to any page, but there would always be one permanent url for reading.

Regarding your second issue, this is right, according to facebook, two different urls will have two different comment feeds. What is the reason behind having two different pages for showing the same news?

would it be possible to use a redirect, or even better, have the news view on one section (say membership) automatically redirect the details view to be on the donors page?

Hope this is helfpul!

So you had a page called ~/news that just has a news list on it to feed the search engines?

My worry is this:
~/mobile/current-news/

which is an aggregation of all tags ordered by the publish date. I don't think that I could use a redirect on the news control to set my Facebook comments control, but I will give it a shot. I'm also going to wire up a ~/news page and show all content there- that may solve my issue, actually.

Thanks!

well, what I mean is that I didn't have multiple places to read the same news stories. I would show my news lists on different pages, but wherever they were, they would all link back to one central page for that news.

I also had different news providers for say a different department, but that too was its own list. I didn't show news from say news list A on the news details page for news list B...

if you show the same article on two different news details pages, facebook (and most comment applications) will likely consider them to be two different stories, unless you can somehow manually wire in a custom key for it.

I'm not familiar enough with FB to say this can be done, but it might be an option.

Keep us posted on your progress, hope this is helpful thanks!

This thread is closed