Developing Web Apps

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:27

Developing Web Apps

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello.

Can I use Sitefinity to develop a Web-based Application that many people can use/subscribe to?

Not exactly the kind of application I have in mind, but say 37Signals' Basecamp. It's a great example of a Web-based Application used by many. Can I build something like that in Sitefinity?

Thanks,
Gregory

Posted by Community Admin on 08-Sep-2011 00:00

Sure, why not :)

Sitefinity really is just an ASP.NET WebApp at its core...so you get a ton of out-of-the-box things like user and role management which you'd otherwise have to code yourself starting from scratch if you went to New->Web Application inside of visual studio. 

What I'm trying to say is that I use sitefinity because it gives me everything I need on install so then I just have to worry about adding in custom things for the clients.  I'm not wasting time re-inventing the wheel with security\logins\usermanagement\forms\UI (all the crappy stuff)...it's all done for you and looks awesome.

So you'd use sitefinity to create your sitemap, setup your users, then you'd develop some custom controls or a custom module which would handle anything sitefinity couldn't natively do.  Then just plop those custom controls onto your pages and you're off to the races.

Steve

This thread is closed