Displaying List Item Content [Blog Posts] Programatically Us

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 11:45

Displaying List Item Content [Blog Posts] Programatically Using ASP

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Sep-2011 00:00

Hi All,

After a mammoth session learning (and subsequently patching) SiteFinity 4.2, the last hurdle I need to overcome is the ability to get the content of a List Item and assign it to an ASP (C#) variable.

Essentially I'd like to be able to loop over all given List Items (in this case, blog posts) and assign the content of the ListItem (Blog Post) to a C# variable which I can then manipulate.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? I've followed an old (SF3.x, Visual Basic) how-to and managed (I think!) to translate it to SF4.2 and C#. The code appears below.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the code to load anything into the list. Visiting the page in a browser gives the following error (ASP gives Line 6, below, as the point of occurance):

I have a feeling I might need to use a Linq Query to extract the posts I want, however I'm not so sure how to go about it. Can anyone give me a pointer or helping hand please?

Exception Details: Telerik.Sitefinity.SitefinityExceptions.ItemNotFoundException: You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.

Stack Trace: 

[ItemNotFoundException: You are trying to access item that no longer exists. The most probable reason is that it has been deleted by another user.]
   DynamicModule.ns.Wrapped_OpenAccessListsDataProvider_e1f3a1b538c2464d870ac9deb2d5665e.GetList(Guid id) +253
   Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Lists.ListsManager.GetList(Guid id) +45
   SitefinityWebApp.Controls.TestBlog.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\pp\Controls\TestBlog.aspx.cs:23
   System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
   System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +91
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +74
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2207

01.protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
03.            /* Setup array to hold posts */
04.            string[] strContent = null;
06.            /* Define new list manager for access to lists */
07.            Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Lists.ListsManager mgrList = new Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Lists.ListsManager();
09.            /* Define GUID of list to load */
10.            Guid searchForGuid = new Guid("854FD531-2B15-4277-B616-49A36D7FBB85");
12.            /* Load list into new SiteFinity list */
13.            Telerik.Sitefinity.Lists.Model.List objLists = mgrList.GetList(searchForGuid);
15.            /* Define a list item for use later */
16.            Telerik.Sitefinity.Lists.Model.ListItem thisItem = new Telerik.Sitefinity.Lists.Model.ListItem();
18.            /* Load list into more system friendly model */
19.            System.Collections.IList sysList = objLists.ListItems.ToList();
21.            /* Loop over system friendly list and write content to array */
22.            foreach ( int r in sysList)
24.                int c = 0;
25.                /* Assign content to array */
26.                strContent[c]=thisItem.Content;
28.                /* Output something to the screen */
29.                Response.Write("Loop: " + c.ToString() + "<br />");
30.                Response.Write(strContent[c]);
31.                c++;

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Sep-2011 00:00

Hello Jeff,

Here is the API code that will get the contents of the list item.

String myListName = "List";
            ListsManager manager = ListsManager.GetManager();
            Telerik.Sitefinity.Lists.Model.ListItem currentItem = manager.GetListItems()
                .Where(i => i.Parent.Title == myListName)
                .FirstOrDefault();
            if (currentItem != null)

var content = currentItem.GetValue("Content");
//Content is the name of the field in list that represents the editor where you enter contents

You can review all field names by going to Lists module entering a list and in the right sidebar clicking custom fields for lists. There is a tab with all the default field names.

Greetings,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed