Restaurant Menu Module

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 07:56

Restaurant Menu Module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Oct-2011 00:00

I am developing a SF 4.2 SBE page for a small pub. Now they have a daily special, and a weekly special from Monday through Friday.

I could somehow (miss)use the events module or new module to do so or probably could make my own module (which would be fun but a lot of work for me) http://www.sitefinity.com/40/help/developers-guide/how-to-how-to-create-a-jobs-module.html would probably be the starting point.

Any advice on this?

Markus

My advice?...see if they can wait a bit longer and leverage the new Module Builder UI...it'll save you time, and allow them to create new "Types" on the fly.  So I guess then you need a form YES OR NO on if this will exist in SBE.

What I would then do is link in the category taxon to that new type.  And have the categories be daily specials, weekly specials.  Then they could just go in and add items to that category and your widget would pull everything FROM that category and display it.

In the short-term I wonder if you could use Lists.  So there would be a "Lunch Menu" list, perhaps a "Dinner List", or "Artery clogging" list.  And you could tag categories to list items to achieve the above solution.

The bonus on the list is you can re-order items in the UI and add custom fields such as price or availability.

...perhaps lists is just the better way to go?

Steve

Dear Steve

At the moment I went the cheepest way Content - Generic Content and have Monday through Friday and display them on the page.

The idea would have been to show only Thursday through Friday on Monday afternoon for example.

I will wait for 4.4 and see if SBE will also get this. thanks for your advice.

Markus

This thread is closed