Cache recycle on publish

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 20:21

Cache recycle on publish

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Nov-2011 00:00

I have client who just went live with a sitefinity 4.2 site utilizing MS Commerce Server. This issue is that every time an administrator publishes a content page, the entire site cache recycles. This is causing some pain and I was wondering if there were a way to disable this feature.

Thanks,
Dean

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Dean,

There is no settings that sets the cache to recycle. I suppose the problem is coming from the allocated memory for the application pool in which the project runs. Sitefinity 4.2 requires more than 500 mb of memory to operate, if the application pool has allocated around 500mb to Sitefinty when publishing and caching content in memory the limit might be exceeded because of the additional cache and this causes application pool recycle(recycle clears cache). Can you check if the memory is low and allocate more if so?

Best wishes,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi there

We are having a very similar issue. Every time we "publish" a page, the website (both backend and front end) becomes unresponsive for about 2 minutes, almost as if the site has to recycle or recompile for the the first time due to idle. Our app pool is allowed to use unlimited memory (we set the recycling by interrvals).

We are using 4.3

This is getting really serious. Any one with similar problem and has a solution?

Hi,

Can you check if the site really is resetting. Is the message "System is restarting..." get shown on the frontend pages when someone publishes a page? If not I suppose there is a problem with the workflowbase url. Check Administration -> Settings -> Advanced -> System -> ServicePaths and see if the setting must be applied to the domain name which is also used in IIS to bind the server IP to it. For example if the domain ( mydomain.com ) is associated with the server IP 83.142.17.132, the bindings in IIS should be as follows:
type:  http
hostname: mydomain.com
port: 80
IP address: 83.142.17.132

Kind regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Hi Stanislav

our website is www.tafesa.edu.au, so we've set the workflowbase url to be "http://www.tafesa.edu.au" is that correct ? or should it be simply tafesa.edu.au ?

Our IIS binding is set like you have suggested.

Also, no message appears at all, the site just loads for a couple of minutes as if it's clearing up cache or re-initializing. Eventually, the site does load up again and the newly published page does actually publish. No errors are thrown anywhere that I can see.

I might add that publishing of News items, events etc will not do this and actually works fine. Only publishing of pages.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
HC

Dear HC
Sorry for asking off topic. I whish the forum had a privat message section.
I looked at the site and was wondering if your mega menu is a dynamic solution or how you solved it. If you have time and feel like it drop write me a mail to mb (at) marktold.com on how you went about it.
Markus

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello,

The WorkflowbaseUrl should be "http://www.tafesa.edu.au". If the application pool recycles is there a limitation on the allocated memory of the application pool? Sitefinity requires at least 500Mb or ram to operate properly with one backend user logged at a time. Can you monitor the memory usage when someone tries to publish something in the backend and if the memory is going up?

There are a few more things to look for. In case the site causes the same problems with only one person logged on:
Delate a broken search index. Go to Administration->Search and indexes and check if opening a search index results in error. If there is an error delete this search index and check App_Data/Sitefinity/Search folder if the folder for this index is removed.
 Do the same check for Administration->Feeds & Notifications if there is a broken Rss feed (you don`t need to check App_Data with this) .

Another thing to check is if there are two users logged at the same time and publish if the server memory goes up and fills all available memory. There is a memory leak. 
If the memory goes up it could be caused be several things I have examined so far. 
A custom navigation control that is using the property IsNodeAccessible it causes a loop trough all pages and the loop fills up memory.

Check if you are having a page template based on itself (the template with name "Test" is based on template called "Test") check if you have a template based on itself.

If there is base it on an empty template or another template to avoid the issue.

If only one template is used for most of the page the memory leak might be in a custom control on the page. The memory leaks is usually querying lots of items at once with a query that loads them all in memory before filtering them or a loop caused by the query. Debug the custom controls to check if when items are loaded or requested from the database or file system they are loaded more than once.

All the best,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team

This thread is closed