upgrade advice needed

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 09:54

upgrade advice needed

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

A live sitefniity system at work, which i have now got responsibility for, is in SF 4.2

I have backed up the db and restored it on my dev server, and want to practice upgrading it to 4.3

i have a c:\program files/telerik folder, and i created a test project in sitefinity 4.3 subfolder... which works, and i was able to explore the product.

I checked out a copy of the live website to the folder on my pc:

C:\Program Files\Telerik\Sitefinity 4.3\Projects.

i click on "import a project" in the sitefinity project manager - 4.3.1885.0 - bt the project shows up as status: "offline" and on right click i only have the following options:

Explore, Show License info & remove.

on the action dropdown i have the above three and one additional option : set SF3.7 for migration.

Can anyone advise how i should proceed?

A colleague sujjested creating a new project, using the SPM and then writing my project over it, and amending the projects XML file... but the project i want to work on locally is in SF 4.2

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2011 00:00

Hi Simon,

When you checked out your project make sure to properly set your database connection string and verify all dlls required for the project to run are located in the bin folder.

Verify that you have all files on your local end and the website is working as expected before proceeding with the upgrade procedure.

All the best,
Victor Velev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2011 00:00

there was no bin folder in the checked out solution.

had to grab a compiled copy of the project from a colleagues PC.

Here is the list of steps we used:

============================================

Uninstall and install latest version of sitefinity PM¶

In sitefinity project manager, create a new project in the new version for the website…so that it creates the project XML record. (name of site must match exactly) e.g.MyCMSWebSite

Delete the contents of the new project folder from: C:\ Program Files\ Telerik\ sitefinity 4.3\projects\MyCMSWebSite

Close and exit (system tray) sitefinity project manager¶

Get a copy of the full solution folder ( must include bin and its contents) and paste into project folder. (Our SVN does not include Bin folder or files)

If necessary edit data config to local db server, dbnames and username for sitefinity DB and any do same in Web.config for any other databases used.

If PC is a new install, check server config to allow tcp/ip, and in management studio, go to server properties, and allow remote connections, and allow sql + win logins… Start and stop sql server. (otherwise project will fail to compile on first build/run after upgrade)

Open sitefinity project manager and upgrade the project¶

Close and exit (system tray) sitefinity project manager¶

Open solution in VS2010, and play it (build and run), this upgrades the database, which can take a while…. Monitor it for any errors..

When site is running, go to /sitefinity, log in as admin and then go to admin page, version – and check “version and build match” as one is db and one is code version, they must be the same. (especially important if, like I did, you have SQL username related errors, because of local pc / SQL Server install)

If that works – test the web to make sure main and custom controls are still working.

=============================================

This thread is closed