Add custom taxonomy to news item widget edit screen

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 14:04

Add custom taxonomy to news item widget edit screen

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Nov-2011 00:00

Using Sitefinity 4.2 I have created a custom taxonomy (Geographic Location) to the Classifications section.  I have added this to the News Item Create and Edit screens, what I can't find to do is add it to the widget control I add to the pages.  When I drop the news control on a page and go to edit, I get the built in Categories and Tags options of course to filter my news items but I also want to filter my news items by geographic location.

Can this be added easily via the sitefinity interfaces as with the creating / implimenting in other backend pages. 

Thanks

Darren

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Nov-2011 00:00

Hello Darren,

If you want to achieve this you will have to extend the ContentSelectorsDesignerView class. Its default template is located as resource in Telerik.Sitefinity.Resources.Templates.Designers.ContentView.ContentSelectorsDesignerView.ascx. In this template there are several <designers:FilterSelectorItem> elements. Here is the default one for the Tags:

<designers:FilterSelectorItem ID="FilterSelectorItem2" runat="server" Text="<%$Resources:Labels, ByTags %>"
    GroupLogicalOperator="AND" ItemLogicalOperator="OR" ConditionOperator="Contains"
    QueryDataName="Tags" QueryFieldName="Tags" QueryFieldType="System.Guid">
    <SelectorResultView>
        <sitefinity:FlatTaxonSelectorResultView ID="FlatTaxonSelectorResultView1" runat="server" WebServiceUrl="~/Sitefinity/Services/Taxonomies/FlatTaxon.svc"
            AllowMultipleSelection="true">
        </sitefinity:FlatTaxonSelectorResultView>
</SelectorResultView>

You can add another one for your custom taxonomy. However you will need to extend the designer class as well so it persists the values that you select in the UI. Basically you can start by overriding

protected virtual void SetFilterTaxonomyIds()

whose base implementation is

this.FilterSelector.SetTaxonomyId("Categories", TaxonomyManager.CategoriesTaxonomyId);
this.FilterSelector.SetTaxonomyId("Tags", TaxonomyManager.TagsTaxonomyId); Best wishes,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed