ERROR: Item could not be saved when Creating User using Cust

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 04:13

ERROR: Item could not be saved when Creating User using Custom Membership Provider

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Dec-2011 00:00

As the title says I am getting an error message "ERROR: Item could not be saved." when creating a user using my Custom Membership Provider. The last method firing in the MembershipProvider is GetUser, which returns null, but CreateUser never fires. Part of the problem may well be that I haven't tested the MembershipProvider outside of Sitefinity, but I wanted to go ahead and post the question in case there is any direction you can give. I'm using a custom Role Provider which seems to be working, and I don't have a custom Profile Provider. Below is the Json that is getting passed to /Sitefinity/Services/Security/Users.svc/create/00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000/?provider=Unified

"UserName":"test","Password":"testtest","Email":"test@test.com","PasswordQuestion":"","PasswordAnswer":"","Comment":"","IsApproved":true,"RolesOfUser":[],"ProfileData":"\"Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile\":\"__type\":\"Telerik.Sitefinity.Security.Model.SitefinityProfile\",\"FirstName\":\"test\",\"LastName\":\"test\",\"About\":null,\"PreferredLanguage\":null,\"Avatar\":null,\"Id\":\"99b3a368-2065-428f-bc9c-e18dc16ef0d8\",\"ApplicationName\":\"/UserProfiles\",\"LastModified\":\"/Date(1322707946386)/\",\"Owner\":\"00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000\",\"DateCreated\":\"/Date(1322707946386)/\",\"__providerName\":\"OpenAccessProfileProvider\""

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Dec-2011 00:00

I tested the MembershipProvider outside of Sitefinity using the standard MVC account view templates, and I was able to create a user without issue. I even was able to update the user from user administration in Sitefinity. Still when I go to create a user using my MembershipProvider in Sitefinity I get "ERROR: Item could not be saved." and CreateUser never fires. Error logs show me nothing outside of a missing resource that is occurring long before I get to the CreateUser page. Any help or direction you can provide would be much appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Dec-2011 00:00

I was able to debug my MembershipProvider using the front end user registration control (don't know why I hadn't thought of that in the first place). I hadn't implemented the PasswordFormat property. So I'm all good now. Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 05-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Joseph,

I'm glad that you solved your issue. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

Greetings,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2014 00:00

Hi,

I am on sitefinity 6.3 and I having the same issue when saving data in the backend.

I used the default Sitefinity profile type for creating extra custom fields. but when i save,  i get the same error "ERROR: Item could not be saved."  the service method that is called is "/Sitefinity/Services/Security/Users.svc/update/42983c50-e743-6181-8145-ff00009c1862/?provider=Default"

Please also find attached the Log file with more detail.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jun-2014 00:00

See file...

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jun-2014 00:00

Hello Adrien,

I am sorry to hear about the issue you experience.

The error you are getting when creating a new user might be related to a known issue that users with a valid GUID for their username can not be saved. The bug is logged in our feedback portal. Here is the link where you can track its progress and vote to increase its priority.

If this is not the case, can you please give some more details about the custom fields you have created for the basic profile type and the exact steps you take to create the user. This way we will be able to test it following your steps and check if the issue will be reproduced on our side.

Regards,
Sabrie Nedzhip
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed