Custom Backend Admin Interface

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 04:24

Custom Backend Admin Interface

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2011 00:00

I'm creating a backend admin piece to add/edit/delete items from a db.  Simplicity and ease of development is the #1 goals I suppose.  At the moment I have a custom web control loaded and have added it to a custom backend page and that is fine.  My issue at the moment is that I can't figure out how I would set it up so that I can click a button and have it change what's loaded on the current page.  Based on the way Sitefinity is setup I think it's out of the question to have it take me to a new page.  Maybe I'm waaaay off base here, but I'm just getting started developing within Sitefinity.  If someone can point me in the right direction it would be helpful.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello Chris,

Could you please give us more details what exactly are you trying to achieve? You need a button that would post back on the same page? I suppose you could check if the Viewstate is enabled for this page as a starter. Please, give us more details.

Regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2011 00:00

Basically I needed multiple "pages", however the pages would be inside a Sitefinity template as custom web controls.  They would be typical things like a list of employees, then after clicking the edit button it would take you to the edit employee page, etc.  I'm very new with Sitefinity so I wasn't sure how to emulate that behavior within the framework of Sitefinity.

What I actually ended up doing was to create a parent web control that I added to Sitefinity, then added my "pages" as individual web controls in the parent that I could then set as visible/not visible.  This approach is meeting my needs at the moment, however if there is a better or simpler way I would love to know about it.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Dec-2011 00:00

Sitefinity gives you many options for developing interfaces like this. Your approach should work well, as would using a MultiView that has a different view for each "mode".

I also suggest you take a look at this article on Creating Intra-Site Modules in Sitefinity 4. Although you probably don't need the installation part of it, it demonstrates how you can create a multi-page admin interface using different asp.net user controls (ascx files) on backend pages.

Any of these options will work, it really depends on your needs. your option is certainly the fastest, but the intra-site option allows you to separate the controls so you're not doing everything on one page.

let me know if you would like to implement something like this and have questions, I'll be happy to help!

This thread is closed