Can a widget template for a list be made to group by a categ

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 22:51

Can a widget template for a list be made to group by a category?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 07-Dec-2011 00:00

I created a list that contains all of our companies locations. I'd like to add a category to the list called State (i.e. Florida, Maryland, etc).  I would than like the list to group our locations by State.

The widget template for lists use the RadListView, which supports grouping. Therefore I think this would be possible, but would like to verify before attempting. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

Posted by Community Admin on 12-Dec-2011 00:00

Hello David,

At the moment the way to add categories for List Items is if you declare a custom taxonomy field for your list items. The design for the Lists module is to use the parent list for grouping and not other fields. So essentially if you want to group items by criteria you should create different lists.

The RadListView control supports grouping, however since the taxonomies field is an artificial field which allows you to map to more than one category at a time you will not be able to do this with the built in widget. The approach here would be to create a custom control for displaying list items and to get filter items by category and then bind them

Best wishes,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Dec-2013 00:00

I think I have a similar question but I'm not sure how to pull it off.  I have a custom module for documents and I want them displayed on the page and group by date. Is there a way in the widget template to handle this?  I don't believe I have access to the code behind either so it may prove difficult.  Below is an example of what I'm trying to achieve for output.

December 2013
     Document 1
     Document 2
     Document 3

January 2014
    Document 4
    Document 5

February 2014
   Document 6

...etc...

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Dec-2013 00:00

Hi,

This can be achieved if you are using either lists module, a dynamic hierarchical module (built with the Module Builder) or with the built in Documents module - you can create nested libraries and arrange documents in them. I am not quite sure why you are going with a custom module for this.

Regards,
Radoslav Georgiev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed