Module Builder broken, what now?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:27

Module Builder broken, what now?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2012 00:00

Somehow the module builder doesn't work anymore at my website, I had created one module called Projects and I can't change the fields of the projects module anymore. When I try to update the module it says "There has been an error updating module fields!", When I create a new module, the module is built but is inactive, when i try to activate it, it says "There has been an error activating module!". 

Is there a way to fix this?

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Khai,

Thank you for contacting us.

Can you please give me more info for the module you created (module fields, restrictions if have any) and how exactly you tried to update them so that i can reproduce the errors?

Also I want to ask you if the rest of Sitefinity is working properly after you received this errors on Module Buider and if you can, please send me the Logs located under App_Data -> Sitefinity -> Logs.

Thank you in advance.

Greetings,
Kristian Smilenov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

I created a module Project with these fields:
Title - short text
Description - long text
ProjectImage - image

I made that one quickly just to see how the module builder works, then a week or two later I had to create the real project module so I tried to edit the field ProjectImage to another name and added two more image fields. So when I did that, the module couldn't be updated.. So I tried to create another module, and then I noticed that, the module couldn't be activated. So because I didn't do anything much with the module builder before and I noticed later that it didn't work anymore, I don't know what caused it to be broken.

The rest of sitefinity is still working.. But because my deadline is coming soon for the project, and I need the module builder, I'll try to replace the database with a new one.. 

here are the logs btw: www.mediafire.com/

Replacing the database didn't work aswell.. so I re-created the project entirely.

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello Khai,

We are experiencing some problems when editing media fields. My advise is to start on a clear project, plan carefully what your module is going to look like and create it. Avoid using fields editor as for now it is reported that there is an issue with media fields.

I hope that you will be able to finish your project on time :)

All the best,
Stoimen Stoimenov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

Arghhh... Having same problem.

I created a module, and everything worked perfect. But I found out that I wanted to create a special classification before creating the module.

Replaced database and config files with backup files prior to the first creation of module. But now I get "There has been an error activating the module" matter what I do...

What exactly need to be replaced to start from scratch again?

OC

Posted by Community Admin on 31-Jan-2012 00:00

I tried to re-create the module without the classification, and that worked. Is there a problem with activating modules with classification fields?

OC

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this topic. We are aware of this issue. The problem is when you have created a module and after that you try to edit the fields to add or remove classification or media fields. We are working on this problem and hope that we can resolve it as soon as possible.

As I said previously my advise is for now to start on a clean project, plan carefully what your module is going to look like and create it. When you are sure that this is the module that best fits your needs recreate it on the production environment. Also make sure that you make backups before major changes. For now we are focusing on fixing issues in the module builder and stabilizing it and we hope that you won't experience such problems in future. Please excuse us for the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Stoimen Stoimenov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Feb-2012 00:00

Just to let you know that this is also happening for me and I *don't have a media type field*, what I had in my case was: short text, long text and classification. This is the error log i'm getting:

Timestamp: 2/9/2012 10:30:21 PM

Message: HandlingInstanceID: c030ad07-ad63-44cd-a0d7-d6e92a5d5d02
An exception of type 'System.Web.HttpException' occurred and was caught.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
02/09/2012 17:30:21
Type : System.Web.HttpException, System.Web, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
Source : System.Web
Help link : 
WebEventCode : 0
ErrorCode : -2147467259
Data : System.Collections.ListDictionaryInternal
TargetSite : Boolean ProcessRequestForNonMapPathBasedVirtualFile(System.Web.HttpRequest, System.Web.HttpResponse, System.String)
Stack Trace :    at System.Web.StaticFileHandler.ProcessRequestForNonMapPathBasedVirtualFile(HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response, String overrideVirtualPath)
   at System.Web.StaticFileHandler.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpContext context, String overrideVirtualPath)
   at System.Web.DefaultHttpHandler.BeginProcessRequest(HttpContext context, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
   at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Additional Info:

MachineName :  <deleted for privacy> 
TimeStamp : 2/9/2012 10:30:21 PM
FullName : Telerik.Sitefinity.Utilities, Version=4.4.2117.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b28c218413bdf563
AppDomainName : a7b9738a-1-129732996340642508
ThreadIdentity : admin
WindowsIdentity : <deleted for privacy>

Category: ErrorLog

Priority: 0

EventId: 90000

Severity: Error

Title:Enterprise Library Exception Handling

Machine: TOR-02460

App Domain: a7b9738a-1-129732996340642508

ProcessId: 14132

Process Name: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DevServer\10.0\WebDev.WebServer40.exe

Thread Name: 

Win32 ThreadId:15860

Extended Properties: 

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Wagner,

Indeed the PITS issue is only for media field and that's because we first found the problem with this kind of field. But as we investigated further it turned out to be related and with classification fields. The reason for this is classifications and media types are saved differently in our database and so they require different approach when editing. However as you can see the issue is with status "resolved" and that means in Sitefinity 5.0 everything will work perfectly fine. We have improved "edit fields" feature for 5.0 release and it will be much more stable then.

I apologize for any inconvenience this is causing and I suggest to use a dedicated testing environment for testing your modules and when you are sure that you have the right module to recreate it where you need it.

Kind regards,
Stoimen Stoimenov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Feb-2012 00:00

HI ,
I am also facing same issue with the Module Builder editing.I create a module in which a Field was od datetime type and after trying to change it to int it does not show me any error but after that any module created is in inactive mode.I have to share the link with the Client in 2 days and don't have that much time to create new project.
Can anyone provide me the best way to handle the same apart from restoring the database or new project creation.
Regards,
Harish Kant Pathak
Technical PM

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Aug-2012 00:00

Are you sure this is fixed for classifications? The PITS ticket says it was fixed for media fields only. I just deleted a classification field from my module that I wasn't using and now I can't add any new items. I really don't have any other options right now other than to delete the module, create it again and re enter in the content. Do you guys offer vouchers for lost time? How about some Telerik points?

Posted by Community Admin on 10-Jan-2013 00:00

I'm on version 5.1.3450.0 and getting the same issue. 

Created a custom module for the project with 2 content types. Everything worked perfectly. Both content types have a custom classification field and one has an image field. Now 2 days before the project deadline I tried to add a 3rd content type and got the message "There has been an error updating module fields!". 

The site and module continues to function properly, but the changes are not applied. Log files have not been modified - I can find no trace of the error.

One potential problem I suspect is that the files in Configuration folder had been checked into source control and I did not check them out prior to doing the update. I had since checked out all the files in the project and tried to re-create the custom content type but got the same error message.

Have there been any updates on this issue?

I would rather not have to re-create the module again as there is a lot of code referencing the module and we are 2 days from the deadline.

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Khai,

I have tested this on a clean project and it is not reproducible. It is possible the problem to come from the read only configuration files. If possible send us your project so we can make a deeper research.

Most probably the source of the problem is different and we will do our best to fix it.

Kind regards,
Nikolay Dimitrov
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2013 00:00

Thanks Nikolay, I responded with the project files to an existing support ticket. Looking forward to your response.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Andrei,

I'm sorry to hear you've had troubles with the initial FTP setup. We've provided you  with the FTP details of a new secured FTP on our server, in the support ticket you have open on this issue. I'd suggest we lead the discussion there until the final issue resolution, and then you can  share the issue resolution with the community.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2013 00:00

In case anybody is having the same issue, the solution was to grant "modify" permissions to the account that the website is running under on the folder with all the .config files. Make sure that the files are all checked out in Visual Studio and are not set as "read-only".

The folder location: /App_Data/Sitefinity/Configuration

In my case, I had the site deployed on 2 different Windows Server versions. My local development machine was running Windows Server 2008 R2 and the DEV server was running Windows Server 2008 (not R2). On Windows Server 2008 the app runs as "NETWORK SERVICE" account and on Windows Server 2008 R2 it runs as "ApplicationPoolIdentity", which actually translates to a windows account "IIS AppPool\<app pool name>" to which you have to grant permissions. I was trying to grant access to Network Service for both OS versions and that was the cause of the issue.

It would be great if something more descriptive than "There has been an error!" could be shown because it's impossible to tell what the problem is and it's not always obvious.

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jan-2013 00:00

Hello Andrei,

Thnak you for sharing the solution to your problem with the community, we highly appreciate your involvement.

On a side note, I wanted to point out that granting Modify, Read & execute, Read, and Write permissions set for the App_Data folder and its subfolders is an essential part of Configuring the IIS to host Sitefinity projects (in the Configuring folder permissions) section.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Aug-2013 00:00

Arghh... Getting this very anoying error again. Running on 6.1 SP1 with folder/file permissions correct.

There has been an error.... Yeah, right!

OC

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jul-2014 00:00

I am also getting the same error. Running Sitefinity 6.2. Any updates ??

Posted by Community Admin on 30-Jul-2014 00:00

Hello Varinder,

As the error is very general and we need to inspect it more detailed, I would recommend you to open a support ticket on the matter. Please provide the error logs under:  App_Data -> Sitefinity -> Logs (remove all the files and reproduce the case in advance)

Once you have the issue fixed you can share the solution with the community.

Regards,
Svetoslav Manchev
Telerik

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Sitefinity CMS Ideas&Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed