Flush cache

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:16

Flush cache

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 11-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi,

Is there a way to manually flush caches from the back office, as an admin?
For pages, menu items, news and so on.

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 13-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Thomas,

Actually we enable output cache for admin users by default, however Sitefinity does not have control over the data cache, however  you can always flush it by restarting the application, or simply disable it . You can configure this from Administration->Settings->Advanced. For your convenience I'm attaching a screenshot of the exact location of the configurations setting.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 15-Jan-2012 00:00

Hello,

Just a quick follow-up, I'm sorry if I had misled you, what I actually meant was "... we disable output cache for admin users by default "

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Boyan,

Okay, thanks. Note that we don't have the needed rights to restart the production servers, only the development / test ones. Besides, we may need to do this rather often, so restarting the whole app for this is extreme.

Also, does disabling cache then reenabling it actually flush the cache? Or does it reuse the old cache when you reenable it?

Thanks.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Thomas,

I'm afraid you might need an application restart for the data cache disabling to take effect, which would eventually invalidate the proposed scenario. However, can you please let us know why do you want to flush it in first place, and if there are any particular issues/observations that make you want to do this?

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Hi Boyan,

One of the scenarios is related to load balancing issues: Caching issues across multiple servers
I reckon we should actually fix load balancing in the first place, but being able to flush caches could have helped mitigate the issue until then.

Another use case for flushing caches would be to fix random caching issues in general (e.g.: template updated, but derived templates are not updated, or at least not all of them). I just wanted to make sure there was no way to flush caches from the back office, as that could be useful in such cases.

Hi Thomas,

Actually we do disable level two (data) cache when running on load balancing and Sitefinity needs the load balancing nodes configured so it can message them to invalidate the cache so content changes can be reflected on all servers.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Jan-2016 00:00

Can I get an explanation of the following response from a previous reply?  

"Actually we do disable level two (data) cache when running on load balancing and Sitefinity needs the load balancing nodes configured so it can message them to invalidate the cache so content changes can be reflected on all servers."

Is it recommended that L2 caching be turned off when running on load balancing?  We have numerous issues caching problems.  We are running our servers in Azure, so unsure on how this changes things?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2017 00:00

I have the same question as @Jared, should L2 caching be disabled when load balancing? If so, why?

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Jan-2017 00:00

This is a very good question.  When we were running on version 8.2, we had it turned off.  We upgraded to 9.1 last October and ever since have had cache issues that still have yet to be resolved by Sitefinity.  We were told to remove the "false" setting on the L2 cache and all would be good.  However, that contradicts with everything they have said in the past.  We did do it and it did help somewhat.  we still experiment with intermittent cache issues all the time, which is unresolved iwth Sitefinity support.  The ticket has been open for a very, very long time.

Best of luck.  If you find any resolution that resolves the caching 100%, please feel free to share.

Posted by Community Admin on 18-May-2017 00:00

Is there a way to clear cache on specific pages or globally at all now? 

We're on 9.1 and are still facing some cache issues - possibly specific to our use case, because some dynamic pages are better off cached as they pull content from the database are accessed a lot; whereas others, we'd like to be able to clear the cache on urgent updates. 

Posted by yankov on 10-Apr-2020 07:14

Hi,

I want to note in this forum thread that there is a new output cache invalidation service that can be used to flush the cache - www.progress.com/.../output-cache-web-service

Regards,

Yase Yankov

This thread is closed