Wrapping Sitefinity API?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:55

Wrapping Sitefinity API?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 17-Jan-2012 00:00

I am working on an MVC3 project that has need of a CMS for some content that will be managed by users (although the site is much much more than just a CMS).

My team is considering using Sitefinity, since we have an enterprise license for it already, and just wrapping the API to support the minimalistic content management that we want to do.

We wouldn't be using any of the UI layout features of Sitefinity... it would basically be just a data store, but hopefully we can still leverage workflow features and crud operations.  Our own MVC3 site would present a custom UI, and use our wrapper to interact with Sitefinity's data storage.

Can anybody comment on whether this approach seems workable?  Or would wrapping the necessary parts of the Sitefinity API just be a monstrous undertaking?

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Tim,

You can use the manager classes for the different content types - e.g. NewsManager, PageManager, etc. They support all the CRUD operations, you just need to build the UI that would gather the needed data like Title, Content, etc. and then you can simply invoke the different methods of the manager. Generally this looks like a plausible scenario.

Kind regards,
Lubomir Velkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Jan-2012 00:00

Hi Tim,

I have done the exact same thing you're looking to-do with great success.  I used custom WCF Services on my SF site to export data to a MVC3 application and it works rather well and has for months now.

Thomas

Posted by Community Admin on 25-Jan-2012 00:00

Super - thanks for your help, guys!  I have it working two ways (a class library that calls the Sitefinity web services, and also as a custom web service bolted on to the Sitefinity web app).

Thanks

This thread is closed