Implementing search suggestions

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 12:20

Implementing search suggestions

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi all,

I'm curious on how I can implement a search suggestion way of searching inside my website.
I've seen this on the sitefinity.com website, but also like the search functionality from apple.com.

Is this possible with the search system?

Thanks,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 24-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello Daniel,

We're currently working on publishing a blog post that explains in details how such functionality can be achieved, and provide a downloadable widget that can be used. The blog post should be ready by Monday at latest, please keep in touch.

Kind regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2012 00:00

Hi Boyan,

Thanks for the blogpost. I'll going to check it out. Looks okay.
Is it possible to extract the type of search result? Like if you search for something that is a news item or blogitem, can you get the properties of this specific type? E.g. to extract a thumbnail or something else?

Regards,
Daniel

Posted by Community Admin on 27-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello Daniel,

Actually that was the next post from the Extending Sitefinity search functionality series I've planned, and should be out by the end of this week. The answer is yes, although it would be much more convenient top do it in the SearchResults widget. The search results that are displayed when you perform search are of type IDocument and are stored in an IResultSet, in other words these are not the actual items, but their Lucene representation. However each of these documents contains a property ContentType which can be used to determine what is the actual object type it represents. Once you determine if the object is of the desired type you can get the OriginalItemId property of the document, which represents the actual item ID. Using the corresponding manager you can get the object and access any of its fields so you can display the information on the template.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 20-Sep-2012 00:00

Is there any chance that you could place an updated .zip file of the code online that will work with 5.1.3450?  I attempted to plug this into my web site and it appears to missing the proper assembly references.  I tried a few different things but had no luck and didn't want to spend a lot of time on it only to find out it's a bug with the current build.

Thanks,
Matt 

This thread is closed