Best practice for linking comments to a custom dynamic modul

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:06

Best practice for linking comments to a custom dynamic module

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 22-Feb-2012 00:00

Hey all. I put in a support request asking if it is possible to add comments to custom modules and their response is:

"Modules created with the module builder doesn`t support comments. There is no way to add comments to dynamic modules as there is no access to their source code for modifications. Unfortunately comments will not be part of the module builder in Sitefinity 5.0."

Having said this, I still need the ability for users to post comments on custom modules. Does anyone know the best way to do this? My first idea is to create a Comments custom module with all the fields a comment requires. Then dynamically create a new Comments in code when a user submits it and add the field of the Guid for the custom module I want to link it too. Then, whenever someone loads up that particular custom module, I will search for all comments that have that Guid saved to display it. I was wondering if there was a better way I hadn't thought of.

Thanks.
~Zack

Posted by Community Admin on 23-Feb-2012 00:00

Hello,

Refer to the Products module sample from Sitefinity SDK. It is a content based module like the modules created with the module builder, but added to Sitefinity as a separate project and you have all control over the code. It has built in comments.

Regards,
Stanislav Velikov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 03-Apr-2012 00:00

What code is responsible for enabling comments in the module? I currently have my custom module thinking it has comments, but, I've removed all references to them, yet I'm getting errors because my dataproviders GetItems method is still receiving comment types. Is this because, at one point, this module had comments installed? Is it still the case that there is no way to completely remove a module from a sitefinity instance?

DOUBLE POST, SORRY, PLEASE DELETE

In the end, I just added my own table to the sitefinity database and store the module item's Id in there.

Thanks for the reply, Zack. Didn't mean to Hijack your thread, but, it was related to my issue. I'm trying to get comments OUT of my module.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Nov-2012 00:00

Have the comments for the module builder been implemented in either the 5.1, 5.1SP1, 5.1SP2 or 5.2 releases? I didn't see anything in the release notes.

Posted by Community Admin on 02-Nov-2012 00:00

Comments wont be in for 5.4 at the very earliest I'd imagine...in the meantime you can write your own (by just making a new dynamic module then linking the comments in with the Guid[] custom field)...or use my disqus plugin which will always be better than any SF based comment module (IMO...it's their wheelhouse, not an addon...and no radeditor)

This thread is closed