Custom Fields in pages...futureproof?

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 21:06

Custom Fields in pages...futureproof?

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 06-Mar-2012 00:00

I want to add a new "shorttext" field to a page (you know what I mean) to store some simple data on the page level.  So I'll do that in the API and expose it in my own custom control.

QUESTION is, when you guys start putting the UI in for custom fields in pages...will it just automatically start showing up in the page Title\Properties UI.

Anyone reading this, please vote on the issue: http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/details/Issue=5449

Steve

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2012 00:00

Hi Steve,

Actually UI is the exact part we will be working on, as the current functionality does allow you to work with custom fields for pages programatically, the problem is that currently the Page type cannot persist values for these fields if you expose them in the UI.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 09-Mar-2012 00:00

Great so I can go ahead and define a custom type on the page object and tweak it myself, then when you guys put in the UI bits it'll just magically showup right?

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Steve,

Thank you for pointing this out, I believe I understand your request better now. Well as you already know there is no concept of "deleting" a custom field in Sitefintiy, menaing that even if you remove a custom field the data is still preserved in the database, and you are later able to recreate the field. In the same line of reasoning if you already have the custom field there should be no problems adding it to the UI as well (please note that it's highly unlikely for the filed to pop up in Title and Properties before you actually set what interface for entering the data you'd like to have when adding the custom field form UI.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

Posted by Community Admin on 14-Mar-2012 00:00

So you're giving me the thumbs up, and even if I create the new field in the UI with the same name and the data is not there, I could always do a DB Update to copy the data from old column X to new column Y, correct?

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello Steve,

Yes, that should work fine, however please stay in touch, as we haven't scheduled the feature implementation yet, as soon as we start working on it I can provide you with more details on the implementation framework we've agreed on. On a side note as we're trying to keep the UX consistent throughout the backend there shouldn't be any deviations from the current implementation.

Regards,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Posted by Community Admin on 19-Mar-2012 00:00

Ok, well I've made the field, and here's a simple control to update the "IconCssClass" for pages if anyone wants it...I made a new backend page under administration for the time being so this can't be edited publically :)

(Rename the file from .png to .zip)

Or if that doesn't work...

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="PageIconManager.ascx.cs" Inherits="SitefinityWebApp.UserControls.PageIconManager.PageIconManager" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.NavigationControls" TagPrefix="sitefinity" %>

<style>

</style>

<h1 id="sfToMainContent" class="sfBreadCrumb">
    Page Css Editor
</h1>
<div id="setPolicyToolbar" class="sfAllToolsWrapper">
    <div class="sfAllTools">
        <div id="sfActions">
            <span tabindex="-1">
                <ul>
                    <li class="sfMainAction" style="padding-top: 5px">
                        <asp:LinkButton ID="saveButton" runat="server" CssClass="sfLinkBtn sfSave" OnClick="OnSave_Click">
                            <span class="sfLinkBtnIn">Save</span>
                        </asp:LinkButton>
                        <asp:Label ID="saveLabel" runat="server" />
                    </li>
                </ul>
            </span>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

<div class="sfWorkArea">
    <h3 style="padding:3px">This is a temp page to assign CSS Classes to a page until SF can put a UI in at a later date</h3>
    <telerik:RadTreeView id="pagesTreeView" runat="server" Skin="Sitefinity" DataSourceID="sitemapDS" ExpandAnimation-Type="None" CollapseAnimation-Type="None" MultipleSelect="false" OnNodeDataBound="onPages_NodeDataBound">
        <NodeTemplate>
            <span style="padding-right: 5px"><%# Eval("Title") %>:</span><asp:TextBox ID="cssClassTextBox" runat="server" />
            <asp:HiddenField ID="pageIDField" runat="server" Value='<%# Eval("PageId") %>' />
        </NodeTemplate>
    </telerik:RadTreeView>
    <sitefinity:SitefinitySiteMapDataSource ID="sitemapDS" runat="server" ShowStartingNode="false" />
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">

</script>
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using Telerik.Sitefinity;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Model;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web;
using Telerik.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model;

namespace SitefinityWebApp.UserControls.PageIconManager
    public partial class PageIconManager : System.Web.UI.UserControl

private const string FIELD_PROPERTY = "IconCssClass";

public void OnSave_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

using (PageManager manager = new PageManager())

foreach (var node in pagesTreeView.GetAllNodes())

TextBox cssClassTextBox = node.FindControl("cssClassTextBox") as TextBox;
                    HiddenField pageIDField = node.FindControl("pageIDField") as HiddenField;

if (new Guid(pageIDField.Value) != Guid.Empty)

PageData pageData = manager.GetPageData(new Guid(pageIDField.Value));
                        pageData.SetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY, cssClassTextBox.Text);
                        manager.SaveChanges();

saveLabel.Text = "Saved At: " + DateTime.Now;

protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)

pagesTreeView.DataBind();

public void onPages_NodeDataBound(object sender, RadTreeNodeEventArgs e)

PageSiteNode page = e.Node.DataItem as PageSiteNode;
            RadTreeNode node = e.Node;

/*
            var pg = App.WorkWith().Pages().Where(x => x.PageId == page.PageId).Get().SingleOrDefault();
            var value = pg.Page.GetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY);
            if(value != null)
                cssClassTextBox.Text = pg.Page.GetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY).ToString();
            */

var pManager = PageManager.GetManager();
            if (page.PageId != Guid.Empty)

PageData pageData = pManager.GetPageData(page.PageId);

var value = pageData.GetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY);
                if (value != null)
                    cssClassTextBox.Text = pageData.GetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY).ToString();

node.Expanded = true;

Posted by Community Admin on 01-Aug-2012 00:00

Hi Steve,

I'm struggling with something similar, can you advise how you did this part please?

I want to add a new "shorttext" field to a page (you know what I mean) to store some simple data on the page level.  So I'll do that in the API and expose it in my own custom control. 

Many thanks

Andy

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Jan-2013 00:00

@Steve,

Your backend page code was a life saver. I have to make a few tweaks for stuff that seemingly changed in 5.3, but saved me a lot of time.

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2013 00:00

Hi Michael,

What tweaks did you have to make for 5.3 - I am finding that I am getting an error on the GetValue so perhaps this changed?

Cheers,

Seth

Posted by Community Admin on 16-Jan-2013 00:00

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="MenuCssManager.ascx.cs" Inherits="SitefinityWebApp.ctsblogs.MenuCss.MenuCssManager" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Sitefinity" Namespace="Telerik.Sitefinity.Web.UI.NavigationControls" TagPrefix="sitefinity" %>

<style>

</style>

<h1 id="sfToMainContent" class="sfBreadCrumb">
    Page Css Editor
</h1>
<div id="setPolicyToolbar" class="sfAllToolsWrapper">
    <div class="sfAllTools">
        <div id="sfActions">
            <span tabindex="-1">
                <ul>
                    <li class="sfMainAction" style="padding-top: 5px">
                        <asp:LinkButton ID="saveButton" runat="server" CssClass="sfLinkBtn sfSave" OnClick="OnSave_Click">
                            <span class="sfLinkBtnIn">Save</span>
                        </asp:LinkButton>
                        <asp:Label ID="saveLabel" runat="server" />
                    </li>
                </ul>
            </span>
        </div>
    </div>
</div>

<div class="sfWorkArea">
    <h3 style="padding:3px">This is a temp page to assign CSS Classes to a page until SF can put a UI in at a later date</h3>
    <telerik:RadTreeView id="pagesTreeView" runat="server" Skin="Sitefinity" DataSourceID="sitemapDS" ExpandAnimation-Type="None" CollapseAnimation-Type="None" MultipleSelect="false" OnNodeDataBound="onPages_NodeDataBound">
        <NodeTemplate>
            <span style="padding-right: 5px"><%# Eval("Title") %>:</span><asp:TextBox ID="cssClassTextBox" runat="server" />
            <asp:HiddenField ID="pageIDField" runat="server" Value='<%# Eval("PageId") %>' />
        </NodeTemplate>
    </telerik:RadTreeView>
    <sitefinity:SitefinitySiteMapDataSource ID="sitemapDS" runat="server" ShowStartingNode="false" />
</div>

<script type="text/javascript">

</script>

cs file

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.Linq;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using Telerik.Sitefinity;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Modules.Pages;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Model;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Web;
using Telerik.Web.UI;
using Telerik.Sitefinity.Pages.Model;

namespace SitefinityWebApp.ctsblogs.MenuCss
    public partial class MenuCssManager : System.Web.UI.UserControl

private const string FIELD_PROPERTY = "MenuCssClass";

public void OnSave_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

using (PageManager manager = new PageManager())

foreach (var node in pagesTreeView.GetAllNodes())

HiddenField pageIDField = node.FindControl("pageIDField") as HiddenField;

if (new Guid(pageIDField.Value) != Guid.Empty)

PageData pageData = manager.GetPageData(new Guid(pageIDField.Value));
                        if (pageData.NavigationNode.Attributes.ContainsKey(FIELD_PROPERTY))

pageData.NavigationNode.Attributes[FIELD_PROPERTY] = cssClassTextBox.Text;

else

pageData.NavigationNode.Attributes.Add(FIELD_PROPERTY, cssClassTextBox.Text);

manager.SaveChanges();

saveLabel.Text = "Saved At: " + DateTime.Now;

protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)

pagesTreeView.DataBind();

public void onPages_NodeDataBound(object sender, RadTreeNodeEventArgs e)

PageSiteNode page = e.Node.DataItem as PageSiteNode;
            RadTreeNode node = e.Node;

/*
            var pg = App.WorkWith().Pages().Where(x => x.PageId == page.PageId).Get().SingleOrDefault();
            var value = pg.Page.GetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY);
            if(value != null)
                cssClassTextBox.Text = pg.Page.GetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY).ToString();
            */

var pManager = PageManager.GetManager();
            if (page.PageId != Guid.Empty)

PageData pageData = pManager.GetPageData(page.PageId);

string val = null;
                bool hasVal = pageData.NavigationNode.Attributes.TryGetValue(FIELD_PROPERTY, out val);
                if (hasVal &&val != null)
                    cssClassTextBox.Text = val;

node.Expanded = true;

This thread is closed