Binding redirects, OpenAccess and modules

Posted by Community Admin on 04-Aug-2018 16:43

Binding redirects, OpenAccess and modules

All Replies

Posted by Community Admin on 21-Mar-2012 00:00

So for custom controls we download from the marketplace or just don't have time to put in the new references we can just add some binding redirects in the web.config like so... cool

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="4.2.1650.0" newVersion="5.0.2500.0" />
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="4.4.2117.0" newVersion="5.0.2500.0" />

My question is for a module we have to edit the project file and edit the enhancer for OA
<OpenAccessPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Sitefinity 5.0\SDK\Content\Common\Dependencies\</OpenAccessPath>

But if you don't have the source code and want to upgrade your site you have to wait for module to be updated. What if the project goes stale, or the developer disappeared... how can I get a module developed in 4.x to run on 5.0 without touching the source?

Posted by Community Admin on 26-Mar-2012 00:00

Hello,

Thank you for using our services. In the ideal case you'd make sure that you keep a backup of your custom module project on the development environment, as otherwise this ould make further modifications/extending etc impossible. If you have the module source, as you properly pointed outt he approach is pretty much straightforward - replace the referenced Telerik assemblies with the newer ones, point the csproj file to the correct version of the enhancer and build the module.
However, if you have the module dll only, then you should be able to use bindingRedirect element in the web.config to point it to the newer version of the Telerik assemblies, there should be no need for rebuilding and enhancing the project (please note that you deployed module dlls should be already enhanced). The only drawback in that scenario is that if any breaking changes have been introduced in the latter version they won't be reflected in the module, however between versions 4.4 and 5.0 I cannot recall any that would affect that particular functionality.

Please do not hesitate to get back to me if any issues persist.

All the best,
Boyan Barnev
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say in the Sitefinity development roadmap? Do you want to know when a feature you requested is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

This thread is closed